X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Laptop

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    Don't have PCMCIA wireless card.
    Don't have a 20GB HDD, and it flipped out and wouldn't boot when I put in a 60GB HDD
    Don't have puppy linux on CD

I like these computers too, they are much better quality than the new ones... but just a tad (well, more than a tad) too slow...

Any ideas what to do with it though?
    Did you update to the latest BIOS? That may enable compatibility with larger hard drives.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Well I have a box-full of complete Dell CPIx laptops (PII, 400 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 2.5 MB VRAM, 6 GB Hitachi HD, 14" screen @ 1024x768, and power adapter). Free if you don't mind paying for the shipping - which you might since they are pretty heavy .
      I put Win 2000 on one and it runs pretty good, considering the slow HD.
      Not sure how many you have and if you are serious but I am interested in getting 3 of these for our church and will gladly pay shipping.

Comment

I used to use a Gateway Solo 2500 for school, games, and audio recording. I replaced the keyboard when it was first given to me, so it had the best keyboard out of all of my computers at the time. It was also the only computer with a line-in jack, so I installed Audacity on it. I reinstalled Windows earlier this year, but it is now too slow to record audio. I stopped using it after the battery died. Replacement batteries are too expensive for such an old computer. Also, the case is cracked. I had to glue the hinges into the inside of the display section of the case.
        Last edited by lti; 12-21-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Openwrt router. Attach to dumb hub. Easier than using a desktop w/noise and power.

Comment

It does web serving just fine. It's a low-traffic website so it doesn't matter. Just one static HTML page right now.
            I plan to code my own very basic PHP forum software. How do I install PHP 5 on the version of IIS included with Windows 2000 Professional?

Comment

I haven't done anything with 5 yet because my host was still using 4 last time I started a new project.
              -
              So I understand PHP 5.2 works on W2k and PHP 5.3-up doesn't.
              Don't use any directories for the installs with a 'space' like "Program Files".
              I usually have a directory I name "Prog_Files" or just "Progs" for programs with that issue.
              If you are going to need MySQL too then this little laptop might not have enough grunt for the latest versions of everything.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Solitaire...

Comment

Working...
                X