No announcement yet.

Newby here, Intel D865 board needs several pushes of the power button to boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newby here, Intel D865 board needs several pushes of the power button to boot

Hi all,

I feel a complete novice in this present company, although I'm an experienced tinkerer in some other areas (high quality bicycles, some car stuff). I have also had some success repairing water damaged cell phones.

I love the best dumpster finds thread already, it's right up my alley! I hate perfectly repairable stuff going to landfill, or even recycling stuff for materials, when reuse would be 1000 times better.

The query is, I've assembled a PC based on an Intel D865PERL from 2003 with a P4 2.8GHz, and it's going great. But to boot it up it frequently takes 3 or so pushes of the power button. It just "bumps" the PS and fans momentarily on the first couple of goes. No bad caps as far as I can tell but I'm now alerted to the Nichicon HM and HN problems from that time by this forum.

I've looked in the forum but can't see anything relevant, surely it's well known to someone on here?

Many thanks
    Henry
    Perth
    Western Australia (winter now)

Re: Newby here, Intel D865 board needs several pushes of the power button to boot

Others can probably help you more. However what power supply are you using with the system currently?
    It is surprising how many motherboard problems originate from the power supply.

Comment

Re: Newby here, Intel D865 board needs several pushes of the power button to boot

+1 on the power supply issues. the psu could be a junker (cheapo units = fire hazard, can you say powmax?), or the caps could be bad.

how about pictures of any HM/HN caps. they generally swell when they fail (not always)... unlike most crap the seals are good so they don't dry out or lead at the bung.

last, try a different case or switch the reset and power switches (if your case has them). use the new power switch to start and see if the issue changes... I have seen finicky power switches that would short twice per press and cause such a symptom.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'd advise you to take look at the motherboard (BIOS) battery, sometimes, when a battery fails it takes a few pushes on the power button to gain some energy and let the pc boot. I actually have seen this problem on numerous occasions. Second you should check for bulging caps on the motherboard and inside the PSU. Those two problems are the most likely cause for your problem. Also try replacing the power cord just for the heck of it and see what it does.
        Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Thanks all,

Yes it appears to be bulging/bad caps on the mobo, specifically only the 5 longer ones beside the CPU socket:
          C3C3
          C2C2
          C2C4
          C1C2
          C1C3
          Intermittent starting and hang ups, now replaced mobo with another of the same.
          Would a bad Power Supply have caused these caps to fail? One thing I notice having just started using the Intel Active Monitor is that some of the voltages seem to bounce around a bit (momentarily). Particularly the +3.3V and the CPU I/O +1.5V) readings.

Comment

Yes, a bad PSU can kill caps. What brand and model of PSU are you using?

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            cheapo units = fire hazard, can you say powmax?
            No, because he's from Australia, like me. Powmax PSUs don't exist here.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well the voltage readings bouncing around seems to be a spurious effect arising from an interaction between "speedfan" and the "Intel Active Monitor".
              So hopefully with the replacement mobo I now have a stable system.
              Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                Yes, a bad PSU can kill caps. What brand and model of PSU are you using?

No, because he's from Australia, like me. Powmax PSUs don't exist here.
                so? there are crap brands there too *cough* codegen *cough*
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by henrys View Post
                  Yes it appears to be bulging/bad caps on the mobo, specifically only the 5 longer ones beside the CPU socket:
                  Those wouldn't cause the issue at the switch.
                  More likely you have other blown caps or a PSU problem.
                  Blown caps in the PSU are possible too.
                  Intel sometimes uses 85C caps for the small 4 & 5 mm caps.
                  Those start going bad from dry-out after 4 or 5 years - depends a lot on heat and run-time hours.
                  They can cause a sundry of odd problems including an unresponsive switch.

Originally posted by henrys View Post
                  One thing I notice having just started using the Intel Active Monitor is that some of the voltages seem to bounce around a bit (momentarily). Particularly the +3.3V and the CPU I/O +1.5V) readings.
                  You are expecting sensors that cost 5 cents to be fast and accurate.
                  Could also indicate a PSU problem or bad caps. [Large or small.]
                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-30-2011, 12:18 AM.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X