dell sx270 chipset heatsing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dell sx270 chipset heatsing problem

Hi, i recvied dell sx270 dead, i open cover found two cap. bulging, i replaced
    new cap. which was 1800/16v.and 2200/6.3. now power on and disply is ok, but another problem showing WARING ,alert chipset heat sink not detected . I CHECKED ALL COVER ITS OK, i DONT' KNOW WHAT IS PROBLE. please help me? thanks advance,

Re: dell sx270 chipset heatsing problem

the chipset heatsink on these models is held on by two metal loops, which have a trigger if one pops off to do this. I took a loop off one a dead MB (they're all essentially the same part) and soldered it on, problem fixed. the system did have bad caps too and I replaced them while I had the MB out for the hell of it, but the guy did not complain about stability problems

the thermal paste dell uses becomes an adhesive over time and the northbridge heatsink on this box did not move even after the clip broke (popped off due to crap solder)
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Yeah I've seen this multiple times - the little metal clip breaks off on one or both sides, and it gives a thermal error upon bootup.
      Easy enough to fix either get a new heatsink or fix the clip.

Comment

in the worst case one could fashion a new clip out of a paperclip... just bend, cut, and sand (to get it down to bare steel, which wicks solder).

also replace the thermal compound, as the bubblegum pink crap is just like gum and just as useful...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          in the worst case one could fashion a new clip out of a paperclip... just bend, cut, and sand (to get it down to bare steel, which wicks solder).

also replace the thermal compound, as the bubblegum pink crap is just like gum and just as useful...
          i've tried this before and have had varying results, if you don't make the paperclip the perfect size, the heatsink will lean over and lose contact on half of it. salvage one off a bad mb, they're like ALL the same size, no idea why

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
            the thermal paste dell uses becomes an adhesive over time
            If you heat it, it will likely become softer.
            I was working on an old Shuttle PC last week that had that kind of thermal paste on the NB. Took the heatgun and blasted the NB heatsink for a few seconds just to get it hot enough to burn fingers. After this, the thermal paste became much softer and I was able to remove the NB heatsink.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              i've tried this before and have had varying results, if you don't make the paperclip the perfect size, the heatsink will lean over and lose contact on half of it. salvage one off a bad mb, they're like ALL the same size, no idea why
              http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...400-ND/1216404

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                If you heat it, it will likely become softer.
                I was working on an old Shuttle PC last week that had that kind of thermal paste on the NB. Took the heatgun and blasted the NB heatsink for a few seconds just to get it hot enough to burn fingers. After this, the thermal paste became much softer and I was able to remove the NB heatsink.
                yes it will soften when you heat it, BUT...if you heat and cool it, over and over, a few hundred times a year, it chemically changes and becomes adhesive. I think some of the components of the paste melt, form bonds with other components, and melt even more, cool, and do the same thing over and over

Comment

Working...
                X