X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by 370forlife
    Did they cram everything onto one heatsink on that?
    I hope not, though it sure does look like it. If so, heatsink better be grounded, otherwise there could be lots of potential for overclocking. Literally! Just one jump from primary to secondary will give you 340V DC (or 170V DC if heatsnik is connected to one side of the bridge rectifier). Awesome !
    Last edited by momaka; 04-16-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Hipro HP-200NLXA1 200w, +5v 22A, +12v 7A, +3.3v 14A. +5v & +3.3v 110w max. 470uf Teapo primary caps, secondary side Su Scon caps

This PSU really suprised me, it came in a small crappy case for a customers Socket 370 mainboard, I was expecting bulging caps and poor build quality but this unit is the exact opposite of that, a really good PSU for an old 5v system IMO!
      Attached Files
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Another nice PSU, a Seasonic SS-401HT 400w, +5v 30A, +12v 14+15A, +3.3v 30A. +5v & +3.3v 150w max, 12v 348w max. Hitachi primary cap, secondary side had bulging OST caps which I replaced with Samxons (Ost's visible in picture PICT4462.JPG, rest show Samxons...)
        Attached Files
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Third times the charm? No, not this time!

FSP 250-60HEN 250w, +5v 18A, +12v 8+14A, +3.3v 17A. +5v & +3.3v 115w max.
          TEAPO primary cap rated 100uF 400v, secondary side has CapXon
          As you can see there are many missing components but the biggest problem is that the components that are actually there are rated like 1/3 of what they should be!
          This PSU is a hard drive killer, it has no visibly leaking caps but it does not need to with such inadequate component selections!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
            Hipro HP-200NLXA1 200w, +5v 22A, +12v 7A, +3.3v 14A. +5v & +3.3v 110w max. 470uf Teapo primary caps, secondary side Su Scon caps

This PSU really suprised me, it came in a small crappy case for a customers Socket 370 mainboard, I was expecting bulging caps and poor build quality but this unit is the exact opposite of that, a really good PSU for an old 5v system IMO!
            Watch out. We have had a string of failures of these exact psu's in our donated computers at computer tech. They squeal but don't power on. Of coarse, I can't really open my mouth about fixing psu's there as psu's are classified next to plutonium to tech's who don't know better (like my teacher)

As you can see there are many missing components but the biggest problem is that the components that are actually there are rated like 1/3 of what they should be!
            Ya, FSP has kind of gone downhill. Those heatsinks are pretty sorry looking. a 100uf primary cap is what I would expect to see in a monitor. Should be along the lines of a 220uf.

Comment

Maxpower / Rexpower PL-400 / PL-450

This used to be a not so bad psu sometime. Now it is a source of parts to mod/fix other power supplies.
              Attached Files

Comment

Not a computer PSU, but this one shows how it can be done properly...
                Majority of caps are OS-CON, topped with a few NCC KMF and Ruby YXF.
                The Alucore-PCB heatsink/heatspreader is sort of an innovative idea, never saw this before.Should be quite good from a thermal point of view with the transistors soldered, also no screw to come loose.
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm confused as to what type of caps to use in PSUs.

For motherboards I understand, UCC KZE, KZG, Nichicon HN, HM, Rubycon MBZ, MCZ, Panasonic FL, FJ...

How come I see some mfg's putting KZEs or KZGs in newer PSUs? Or are these just on the IC part of the PCB?

What methods do you recommend with regards to choosing the right cap to put in a PSU? Do you just match the ripple and get the highest heat tolerant part possible? Are Panny FC and FM ok to use in power supplies?
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I would not recommend ultra-low esr series in psu's. They can actually cause more ripple. I usually use Nichicon PW or Samxon RS series.

Comment

Do you worry about matching ripple at all? (That is - if you're able to ascertain the ripple value of the original defective cap)
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

LiteOn PS-5900-2H 90W

I took it out from that PC.

Every cap in it is Rubycon, Nippon Chemicon and Panasonic. Only the small ones are G-Luxon.

Is it possible that the label is correct? Is that psu only 90W?

It loooks much more watt capable.

It has been tested and seems to be working without any problems.

What do you think?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by goodpsusearch; 06-28-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

sure it's possible. a Pentium II/3 with onboard graphics doesn't use much power.
                          70W combined on 3,3/5V .. but 1,5A on 12V seems very very low. one HDD and one optical drive and its loaded up already.. o.O
                          a slightly more beefy PSU in the same miniature formfactor would be the Fortron FSP145-50NI
                          3,3V -> 10A
                          5V -> 10A
                          12V -> 4,5A

the only problem it has (as you can see) is the dreaded f... word.. other than that, solid as a rock.

edit: oh well.. my webspace still isn't working.. and i know why.. the hoster disabled my account because he says i didn't log in in the last 100 days... which is BS..
                          great..
                          trying to upload the pics elsewhere and edit them in here..

edit2: let's hope this works.. long forgotten freehoster account lol

Last edited by Scenic; 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Ithink they can do more than the label says.. Maybe 150W for the lite on?

And the fortron 200W...?

Comment

Usually OEM models from companies like delta and lite-on have really strict OCP. Whats on the label is what it can do, you may be able to squeeze a few more watts out by mixing around the load on each rails.

That FSP though may not even have OCP.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                                sure it's possible. a Pentium II/3 with onboard graphics doesn't use much power.
                                70W combined on 3,3/5V .. but 1,5A on 12V seems very very low. one HDD and one optical drive and its loaded up already.. o.O
                                a slightly more beefy PSU in the same miniature formfactor would be the Fortron FSP145-50NI
                                3,3V -> 10A
                                5V -> 10A
                                12V -> 4,5A

the only problem it has (as you can see) is the dreaded f... word.. other than that, solid as a rock.

edit: oh well.. my webspace still isn't working.. and i know why.. the hoster disabled my account because he says i didn't log in in the last 100 days... which is BS..
                                great..
                                trying to upload the pics elsewhere and edit them in here..

edit2: let's hope this works.. long forgotten freehoster account lol

i think i had one of those... until i stripped it for parts... the fan was a nice bb yate loon fan, and it was too measly for what i needed, and it had those darn f-bomb caps!
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^ working psus of that type sell for 25+ bucks over here because of that strange formfactor. they also seem to be popular for casemods or something (PC in set top box DVD player and stuff like that)..
                                  i keep buying dead ones cheap, fixing them up and reselling them. most of the time the FFFFFUUUU caps are the only problem..

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                                    Ithink they can do more than the label says.. Maybe 150W for the lite on?
                                    If there's overcurrent protection like 370forlife said, then you probably won't be able to pull more than 90W. But looking at this PSU, it probably doesn't. The label says it will do 90W at 50C temperature so I'm willing to bet it will do at least 100W at normal room temperature.
                                    I like how Lite-ON also added Japanese caps and a topswitch IC for the 5vsb. This is how you build a solid PSU. Shouldn't give a problem for the next 10 years (or even more).

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                                      ^ working psus of that type sell for 25+ bucks over here because of that strange formfactor. they also seem to be popular for casemods or something (PC in set top box DVD player and stuff like that)..
                                      i keep buying dead ones cheap, fixing them up and reselling them. most of the time the FFFFFUUUU caps are the only problem..
                                      that is a standard atx mount, only the fan is in the bottom iirc. or at least mine was.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

that fortron above and goodpsusearch's Lite-on are both mini ATX / micro ATX powersupplies.

size comparison..
                                        Last edited by Scenic; 06-29-2010, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Motorola SurfBoard SB4200i power supply board (Delta)

47uF 400V Ltec TH Series and 47uF 25V Rubycon YXG Series primary units.
                                          2200uF 6.3V before +3.3V inductor with 1500uF 6.3V after it (both Taicon PW Series units).
                                          680uF 10V Ltec LZG Series before +5V regulator with 220uF 10V Taicon PW after it.
                                          1500uF 6.3V before +1.8V inductor with 330uF 6.3V after it (both Taicon PW Series units).
                                          22uF 63V Ltec LZF Series before +30V regulator with 10uF 50V Chemi-Con LXJ after it.
                                          There is a 4.7uF 50V Taicon VT Series unit on the secondary side used as a startup delay.

Has Delta gone downhill on some power supplies?
                                          Attached Files
                                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                                          X