Accelero S1 rev. 2 and installing Noiseblocker fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accelero S1 rev. 2 and installing Noiseblocker fan

I got a old PNY 6800GT (AGP) graphic card, witch I was years ago cooled with watercooling and not I would like to use it, so I have to create some cooling for it. And it should be quiet one, so - it must be huge and allow me to add a 120mm fan on it - a Noiseblocker at best. I choosen an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rev. 2, because:

Accelero S1 is probably not even compatibly with my GFX card - http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/di...s1.html?c=2264
    (and it is also hard to get)

Accelero S1 rev. 2 is compatible - http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/di...-2.html?c=2264
    (because is support zhe 48,3 and 53,4mm distance of four holes)

On the contrary, the Accelero S2 is strip down version - http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/di....html#techdata
    (only two heatpipes and not four and what is worser, it does support almost all cards, only not these with the 53,4mm holes distance...)

Also no solution from Arctic Coolingu concerning active fan is good, IMHO. Their "turbo mode" with God to know how two noise small fans - phew! Not for me.
    http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vg...le.html?c=2182

So I give it a little bit of thought and come up with own solution:

Basic of this idea is, that I can add the fan using the rubber "screws." On the bottom side it is dead simply - into the deattachable plastic cover i just drill 5mm from it corner and 105mm from them two holes (that is the holes distance for a 120mm Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XL1 fan). These are of diamater 4mm. While it is true, that the fan have a 4,5mm holes, then the plastic cover is much more slim and therefore it is only good that the hole is smaller a bit - after all, this is a rubber and it squeeze thru easily

On the top side the solution is more challenging. However it is enought to create a two little 20x8mm holders with 3 a 4mm holes, bend the holder into 5x3mm L profile and connect it thru the heatsink by two M3x25mm screws withz bigger bearing and that it is. The fan hold there pretty well - and it is silent rubber connection - no vibrations!

The good advantage of Noiseblocker is not only that the fans are quite quiet, but they also come up already with these rubber "screws" (4ks per piece, of course, not the 8 as visible on the pic):

The whole complet is a bit higher and bellow are the heatsinks on the rams that come with Accelero. They are great!

The overal look at the height clearly show, that the nearby PCI slots are busted Well, not a big deal. They should be clear also because unrestricted airflow is necessary for good cooling of this graphic card, that can become quite hot...

So I can only hope that I give some ideas to others, how to realize some DIY cooling and we see more interesting projects like that
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Re: Accelero S1 rev. 2 and installing Noiseblocker fan

I've done that kind of thing before, although I usually do it with zip ties.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Re: Accelero S1 rev. 2 and installing Noiseblocker fan

Yep, that is the possibility too. However I did wanted it to look professional
      Resulting temps are IMHO good:

Only bad thing (tm) is, that the supplied VRM heatsinks with Accelero S1 rev. 2 did not stick on the weird active parts on the GPU VRM... and the cooler that it there used do more harm that good, becasue around 70°C is IMHO way too much in action:

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
      "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Working...
      X