Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shin Etsu vs AS5 vs MX4/3/2 ?

hI ALL

I have currently used a thermal paste called shin etsu witch is a japanese brand but not very known .

So with it i get a constant 62 C on a laptop GPU .
    Am just wandering if i should notice a big improvement with other pastes like mentioned on the title ?
    Last edited by SM-Piyes90; 07-30-2014, 06:46 PM.

Re: Shin Etsu vs AS5 vs MX4/3/2 ?

At most the only real improvement you will get with a laptop GPU is about 1c average between the 'best' pastes. That's the usual expected difference with CPU's as well. It's also based on how you apply the paste. Be it a small dot in the centre or spreading it there are different recommendations based on the paste.

I myself am a die-hard user of Arctic Silver 5 however. If you ever use AS5 keep in mind that it needs a 'burn-in period' of several days of heat cycling (regular use) for the temps to level out. The results would be a few degrees cooler afterward. I've heard okay things with MX4 and a friend of mine uses it as well. Cannot say for much but if you look over at reviews you'll even see there isn't too big a difference with pastes. Shin Etsu isn't as heavily used but it comes out on top for thermal conduction in many reviews but again, only a 1c or so difference as usual. The only greater difference would be with the 'risky' pastes such as Coolaboratory's "Liquid Metal" which isn't a paste at all but in actuality 'liquid' metal.

Here is one such review for reference:
    80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test
    http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/...tent&task=view

You'll pretty much find there is little difference between the ones you mentioned and are all listed under the 'A grade enthusiast' catagory. The review was done ack in 2009 so some things may have changed in the last 5 years with certain pastes out now but I don't think it would be any form of a game breaker.
    Last edited by chozo4; 07-30-2014, 07:15 PM.
    Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

anyone else notice the shenannigans with the charts on mx4?
      i will have to post it.
      and note that it is toxic and according to the usps cannot be mailed.
      edit...
      pdf attached
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kc8adu; 07-30-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I think ill stick with this shin etsu for the moment , but am really thinking of buying the MX4 for sure .

Comment

Originally posted by SM-Piyes90 View Post
          I think ill stick with this shin etsu for the moment , but am really thinking of buying the MX4 for sure .
          I honestly don't see the point in going out of ones way to get MX-4 over what you have until you actually run out. How you apply it and how well the heatsink bottom is made. If it has visible grooves then a thicker paste may be better for you. If it's well machined or even lapped and the CPU die and bottom of the sink are completely flat (not slightly concave or convex) then a thinner paste would be a better solution especially if you're using mounting screws which will provide a much thinner layer of paste. Using more paste than needed will always result in higher temps.

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          anyone else notice the shenannigans with the charts on mx4?
          i will have to post it.
          and note that it is toxic and according to the usps cannot be mailed.
          edit...
          pdf attached
          But of course! Every manufacturer always has the 'best' results in their marketing sheets. I find it funny though how it lists liquid metal as being 3.5c warmer than itself.
          Last edited by chozo4; 07-30-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

i use mx4 and i think its the best on the market at this point

as5 was never great as the curing time was HORRIBLE

shin etsu i would assume is quality stuff due to its manufacturing country

Comment

Originally posted by xboxhaxorz View Post

That's understandable really. Many just don't want to wait on AS5 to cure but even then it only has 1-2c difference prior to curing. After curing though it works out very well amongst the best. It only had better results when used with a lapped or already mirror finish heatsink with a tight screw mount.

Comment

Originally posted by xboxhaxorz View Post

Hey xbox hacker , is 62 considered normal on a 360 in contrast with laptop's Nvidia gpu ?
                I used that shin etsu on it , so would using mx4 make a difference ?

btw SHIN ETSU is 2W/mK less than MX4
                Last edited by SM-Piyes90; 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X