Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap ESR meters on fleaBay, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheap ESR meters on fleaBay, what do you think?

Originally posted by predator0357 View Post
    Hey,
    If i desolder the wire of the 9[V] jack and put there a 9[V] 200[mA] power supply like this one it will work fine yes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Converter...-/221232824063
    it should, but the battery will last a very long time - so why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      it should, but the battery will last a very long time - so why bother?
      ill tell Y, cuz i am not gonna travel with it and i thinks its the best way to just remove the battery and this way is the best(-:
      this is just my opinion
      Last edited by predator0357; 07-10-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

well if you get one in a case, you can do it tidy by fitting a 2.1mm socket on the case.

without case:
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251518131978

with case:
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261466455456

big price jump unfortunatly.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          You do realize that in order to get a reliable reading, you have to desolder the caps off the board (or lift one leg) in case they are in parallel (or possibly affected by some other components in circuit)??
          Ha! I am pretty dumb, but I have picked that up. It would just be nice to know which ones are bad, and which ones are still fine when I'm recapping, instead of replacing everything.

Comment

Originally posted by withalligators View Post
            Ha! I am pretty dumb, but I have picked that up. It would just be nice to know which ones are bad, and which ones are still fine when I'm recapping, instead of replacing everything.
            I didn't mean to imply what you wrote, but many ESR meters are being advertised as being able to provide in circuit readings (that is, you don't have to desolder the capacitor).

There are very few cases where you can measure a capacitor in circuit and get a reliable reading, but for the majority of the cases, you need to desolder them. If that is the case, quality capacitors are cheap enough that it makes the investment in a good ESR meter questionable for a hobbyist.

For the professional technician, an ESR meter is probably a requirement.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              For the professional technician, an ESR meter is probably a requirement.
              I will say to all that is definably a requirement when you are following the correct pattern about conducting capacitors testing.

Capacitors datasheets are the ones which setting the requirements about the technical specifications that an LCR meter should have for Low-ESR measurements & capacitor evaluation according to their manufacturer.

Therefore the final selection of a tool is not according it price or personal likes.

Comment

Ok, I ordered this one cause it shipped quickly. Build quality is ok. On button is a little fiddly, doesn't always work. Also, never sure what testing slots to use. I often get "no, damaged or unknow" reading and move the pins to different slots a few times before I get a reading. I also get different, sometimes very much so, readings if I move pins to different slots.

EDIT- The above issues seem to have improved after a few dozen on/off cycles.

Not sure what I'm looking at when I test a cap

Took a brand new Nichicon 1000uf 16v cap and get a Vloss reading of 0.8%
                a C reading of 933.1uf and an ESR reading of 0.0 ohms

I then take a bulged capxon 220uf 25v cap and get a Vloss of 6.5% (or 0.0 sometimes), a C=40.97uf (or up into the mid 50s) and an ESR of 10ish.

Sometimes I don't even get an ESR rating on some bulged caps.

For good caps am I looking for low Vloss and low ESR? Is a bad cap indicated by either of the two or a C value drastically different from what's labeled?

What's acceptable Vloss and what's acceptable ESR?

Thanks for helping out this dummy,

Cheers,

Alex
                Last edited by withalligators; 08-06-2014, 06:36 PM.

Comment

i think your connecting the cap the wrong way.

Comment

probably, the slots are marked 1, 2, and 3. Should caps be one pin in slot 1 and the other in slot 2?

Comment

no idea

you may get usefull info here

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/artic...ansistortester

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        no idea

you may get usefull info here

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/artic...ansistortester
                        I dont understand from this site, can u update the softwar version or not?

Comment

I don't understand anything on that site.

Comment

lol
                            they developed the original non-graphic version.

i dont know if they have newer code - i'l have to download the code.

Comment

Working...
                            X