Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SamQ/LGSung Project

Hey hobbyists, great forum!
    Sorry for the crappy pictures, but it's better than nothing.
    I got a Samsung 940N which had blown caps, but then once I got the backlight on i saw that the LCD panel was cracked as in image 1. So I thought "Hey, I have the 19" panel out of the BENQ/LG Philips i can try to shoehorn in there". So I managed to do that and get it all put together to create my SamQ/LGSung monster!

But there's a problem - there is a very annoying flicker in the image. It happens with DVI or VGA images, but not with the internal monitor images (ie. "Analog, Digital, or No Signal" boxes. It is only a vertical flicker.

I am guessing that it is EMI from the power board. Either because the LCD panel circuitry is bigger and a lot closer to the power board, or because the LCD panel connector is actually very close to the power board now. Originall on the 940N the LCD connector is about 1/2 way to the right side, but the LG/philips connector is in the middle. I know, the pictures don't help.

I am going to try wrapping the signal ribbon in foil to see if it will help, but I thought I'd throw this out there as a more interesting problem than the usual caps, drivers, and transformers.
    Attached Files

Re: My SamQ/LGSung Project

I've seen that problem with some Dell monitors that haven't been opened. I'm not sure what causes the problem, but I'm guessing it has to do with the inverter or perhaps an aging CCFL. Does the problem go away after you've used the monitor for some time?

Comment

I should have been more specific - it is like a v.sync flicker, not a CCFL flicker. Anyways, my solution has been to track down another broken Dell/BENQ and swap things around to see if it is in the LCD panel circuit or the signal processing circuits.

Comment

I suspect that the panel is simply not compatible. Did you check the specs for
        each panel. Is the native resolution the same.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

So I tried a second panel, this time also a Hanstar one like the original. The image (1280x1024) shows up but is doubled. Sometimes I can get it to work if I reconnect, sometimes not.

So I suspect the new panel works with this unit, but perhaps something got messed up on the 5V bus when the 1000uF 10V Samxon GF caps blew up. Time for a new scaler board!

Comment

Working...
          X