Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peak Video Card R9550 with caps in short...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peak Video Card R9550 with caps in short...

Hello Friends!
    I had a pc repair that have this problem: the video card fitted with a R9550 256 MB 128-TV-OUT/DVI Peak has caps of faults (shown in photo, in the red box)... I'm short ... and for this reason the pC will not start!

The value of the caps (in the red box) is 470uF 16V.
    The caps instead shown in this photo are from 47uF 16V

I think for a better outcome to change them.
    The caps must be REQUIRED LOW ESR 105C, true??
    As it is the first time I do a job of replacing caps have to give me some advice?
    the welder such as how many watts should it be?
    I have 3 welders: 30W, 50W and 100W.
    thank you for your precious support!

Re: Peak Video Card R9550 with caps in short...

1. Yes, the caps must be low ESR. Especially the 470uF ones.
    2. Use the 30w, and if you have trouble getting the solder hot enough to melt, use the 50w. I think the 100w might be too risky, you can damage things if you leave it on the for a few minutes.

Not much advice, other than don't get the caps too hot with the soldering iron, and don't solder them in backwards. Also, get GOOD quality caps such as Panasonic, Nippon Chemi-Con, Nichicon, Rubycon, or Sanyo. A tip, don't buy from ebay, there are just waaay too many fakes on there

Do you know if the fan on the card runs? There is a slight chance that the GPU could be fried, but the caps (which look like a crappy type) could be shorted too.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Ben7 thanks for your answer.
      The caps buy them in a store that specializes in my country.
      The video card has the fan running, fortunately!!

Comment

They look like the FCon capacitors I had on my sister's video card: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16407

Try to get good capacitors like ben7 says, from those brands. Be careful, if they're very cheap they're probably fake. They should be around 0.4-0.6 euro each, at least.

Comment

Mariushm Thanks for your opinion.
          The video card I just mount the caps FCon.
          I was thinking of taking low ESR caps but always with a working voltage of 25 V 470 uF always ..... what do you think?

1€ for a caps,is it a good price????

Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
            2. Use the 30w, and if you have trouble getting the solder hot enough to melt, use the 50w. I think the 100w might be too risky, you can damage things if you leave it on the for a few minutes.
            Having used several 35W irons for removing caps on multi-layer boards, I would suggest to go with the 50W iron.

One of the major reasons I have seen many people damage traces and pads on boards before is because either they didn't have a hot enough iron and kept the iron on the board for too long or the tip in their iron was too small and didn't transfer the heat properly to the joint. A few minutes is way, way too long to keep the iron on the same spot. Generally, more than 10-15 seconds is asking for trouble and that's why you want a very hot iron - so that way you don't have to keep the iron on the joint for too long. So go with the 50W iron.

Originally posted by teppei
            As it is the first time I do a job of replacing caps have to give me some advice?
            Another piece of advice I would give is to put flux on the joints of the caps you're going to removed and add plenty of solder to the tip of your iron. This will make the cap removal process very very easy. This is the method I use to remove caps:
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=23

After this, you may want to clean the holes on the board. Heating the solder for each hole and using a sewing needle to push the solder out is one way to do it (I personally prefer this way as well). If you don't clear the holes fully, you can use the above cap-removal method to install the new caps - just reverse it (i.e. pull the caps and press towards the board rather than push)

There is a slight chance that the GPU could be fried, but the caps (which look like a crappy type) could be shorted too.
            If the PC doesn't want to start (i.e. fans twitch and then power turns off), the fault can also be a shorted MOSFET.

Originally posted by teppei
            1€ for a caps,is it a good price????
            Depends on who makes the caps. If the store is near you and you can check what brand the caps are, record all of the info on the caps and post it here so we can check if they are suitable for your video card.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              If the PC doesn't want to start (i.e. fans twitch and then power turns off), the fault can also be a shorted MOSFET.
              momaka thanks for your answer.
              Follow the letter of your valuable advice.
              You advise me to also check the MOSFET? How do I test them?

Thanks to all

Comment

Checking MOSFETs on video cards is a bit of a tricky business because of the low resistance in the GPU and RAM. So before even I explain how to check MOSFETs, first check whether your video card really has the symptoms of shorted MOSFETs. A video card with a shorted MOSFET will make your computer shut down instantly as soon as you try to power it on. So if your computer is NOT shutting down instantly with the video card in it, then you likely don't have shorted MOSFETs.

However, if you would like to check them anyways, I would need pictures of both sides of your video card so I can see where the MOSFETs are located and how they are configured. Also, you will need a digital multimeter if you want to check MOSFETs.

Comment

Friends,
                  I just finished replacing the caps and the video card R9550 256 MB 128-TV-OUT/DVI Peak started to do his duty!!

Thank you all for your valuable support!!

Comment

Originally posted by teppei View Post
                    Friends,
                    I just finished replacing the caps and the video card R9550 256 MB 128-TV-OUT/DVI Peak started to do his duty!!

Thank you all for your valuable support!!
                    Good job!

Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Good job!
                      I am very happy that I have fixed this video card!!

Thanks!

Comment

Congrats!

So what brand and series of capacitors did you end up using?

Comment

momaka the caps I bought are brand utlizzato and Antel.
                          I hope they are good, unfortunately the shop only had that brand.

Thanks!

Comment

^ Can't find any info on them, but I am betting they are just some general purpose capacitors - in which case they wouldn't be suitable for your video card or any other computer equipment really
                            But hey! If they work, that's cool. I would suggest you keep an eye on them, though.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              But hey! If they work, that's cool. I would suggest you keep an eye on them, though.
                              In fact, I really do not is that I trust so much about this brand, but at the moment it's fine ..
                              In the meantime, I'll try a shop that sells quality caps!
                              thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                              X