ATI HD4850 graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI HD4850 graphics card

The other day when I went to turn on my computer, I heard a loud bang like a gunshot, and I saw flames and smoke inside the case. Long story short, apparently my power supply died (no more cheap PS' for me anymore) and it took my MB, my HD and my video card along for the ride. I'm asking here about the video card.

I'm wondering is it worthwhile to try fixing it myself? Only one of the caps blew, but maybe I should replace others as well?

Capacitor case, found it rolling around in the bottom of the case along with burnt up capacitor guts. No cracks or ruptures. Just a big dent which I think it got when it hit the inside of my case.

Burnt up cap is in the lower left of the smaller heatsink.

The capacitor and it's 3 buddies around the heatsink have the following printed on them:

ULR
    16V
    XM (the "M" is smaller and underlined, not sure what it means)

Anyways, my question is, is it worth trying to repair? (the card is not under warrantee anymore, so I'm not worried about voiding the warranty) Will there be other parts besides the caps that will need replacement? (there's no other obvious signs or damages anywhere else on the board)

Which caps should I replace, what should I replace them with, and where can I get them?

Thanks.

Re: ATI HD4850 graphics card

yikes, a blown poly cap!!!!!!!!!

looks like "its dead, jim" i might suggest a small, flat coffin for it. hehe jk

the amount of current needed to shoot the top off a poly and dent it like that must have fried the gpu. so fried that you could go to kfc and buy a bucket of them

what brand psu (if its a deer, then LOL )

sorry to be grim, but dead=dead
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
    X