Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS 6600GT bad cap

Hi
    I have a pair of asus 6600gt and a cap has gone i was wondering if any one new what it was so i could re cap it i have uploaded a pic of the blown cap and it has the markings in green
    470 ( i think this means 470uf)
    6e
    is it better to replace with polymer caps
    i am quite new to recapping have only recapped a few mainborads and this stumped me

if u need any more information just ask i will try to help best i can
    Attached Files

Re: ASUS 6600GT bad cap

That looks like a polymer. I would say your assessment is correct; 470uF/4V

Like you, I've only been recapping mobo so I don't have any experience on polymers.

I am sure some of the senior members will chime in soon.

Good luck.

Comment

It's not a polymer, it has a vent stamp.
      Polymers can't form gasses and so don't have vent stamps.

The blue-ish/purple-ish one is a polymer.
      No vent [and big enough to have one if it were lytic].

The 470uF 6.3v doesn't -look- bad.
      Why do you think it's bad?
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

thanks for all your help so far
        i think it is bad as there is like a k sort shape rasied up like a bulge in the top of the cap and it has stop working since this hapen
        frist time this happen just sawpped it as i had a pair of asus 6600gts second one died same thing rasied k sort of shape on the same cap
        cheap psu is at fault i hope i am also checking the main borad for bad caps and probs

Comment

The K sort of shape are the vent marks for this electrolytic capacitor. It does not really look any more raised than any of the others that I have seen. The only way you can tell if that particular capacitor has failed is by using an ESR meter because it does not look like it is bad at all. You could be right, however you can't tell by just looking at it.

I would guess that your problems with the video card are probably somewhere else. Hopefully someone with experience with video cards comes along to give you some troubleshooting tips and tell you what to look for in failed video cards.

Comment

I agree with shadow. - It doesn't look to have any physical problems.

That K shape is pressed into the metal can at time of manufacture.
            It creates a weak spot where the can can split open if the electrolyte breaks down and forms gasses that pressurize the can.

The raises appearance is because on that style can it's pressed from the inside of the can. The appearance [in the photo] is normal for those.

That doesn't mean the cap is not bad,,, but -visually- it's fine.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

hi thanks for all your help
              i have spoken to a freind of mine who teachs about pcbs he said clean all parts and check for dust in slots did so now it works runs like a beauty
              thanks again for all your help
              nothing to do with 6600gt
              just jumped to saying there is a flault with this part

Comment

Oh well, I guess it is a lesson learnt.
                Congratulations anyway!

Comment

Working...
                X