Acer x241w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer x241w

I have an Acer x241w, which I purchased a few years ago. Recently it started failing (going black after a second or two) and when I opened the case, I discovered a bunch of bulged capacitors, which I promptly replaced with the good brand ones. The problem was resolved easily, however after one week of faultless service the monitor started to behave rather strange. When it is cold, it starts just fine and keeps going but if it goes to the 'stand by' mode or the power turned off I have to wait until it cools down to get the picture back. If I turn the power back on after a short time while it is still hot the screen goes black again in a few sec. I had to turn off the stand by mode completely and have it running for the whole day to avoid the problem.
    Sounds like a capacitor problem, but which one? I replaced all capacitors on the PSU and even the logic board (excluding the biggest one on the PSU board - looked fine) .
    Any clues?

Re: Acer x241w

It's not just the brand of replacements that matters, because manufacturers make more than one series. Use the wrong series on the power board, and they'll last for a while, then fail. Heat changes the way capacitors perform, and can cause this type of problem.

The series is usually a two or three letter code printed on the caps, What brand and series did you use?

Another heat-related problem is the solder joints on the transformers cracking.

Comment

I used Panasonic 105°C caps. I believe their are FC series.

Comment

FCs are good, probably okay. Did you also replace the small 5x11mm and 6.2x11 caps?

Comment

Yeah, replaced all of them too.

Comment

Just realized that I forgot about the caps on the inverter board. Maybe that's the problem?

Comment

Could be. Might as well open it up to check that and the solder on the transformers.

Comment

They do look slightly bulged - take a look at the attachments. I guess I am going to have to replace them. They are 180uf 30v but the closest I could find is digikey P11235-ND.
                http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11235-ND.
                Attached Files

Comment

Are those Teapo? What size and series?

Comment

Not sure about the brand. It is 180uF x 30V. I could not find anything FC series with this voltage at all. Any suggestions?

Comment

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...80uf&x=27&y=21
                      look at these pay attention to height and diameter,they will need to fit where you want them to go
                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Thanks. I ended up ordering EEU-FR1V181 and EEU-FR1V181B from Mouser.

Comment

Looks like the monitor is working perfectly after replacing the caps on the inverter board. I attached the pics. Thank you everyone for the suggestions!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Azeroid, do you still have this monitor open? I just acquired one and it looks like some rookie put in caps the wrong way and different values. Any chance I could get a part location diagram? Primarily need one for the power supply, but other boards would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

Wow, just pulled out the inverter board and it looks like he hacked that up too.. the soldering on it is horse crap, but looks like the original caps :S Do you remember what brand they were and was your soldering really bad?
                              Last edited by Ritalin; 09-09-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Sigh, no love?

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin View Post
                                  Sigh, no love?
                                  Nope, no love. But https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16224 might be able to help you.

PlainBill
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yikes! Looks like X241Ws possibly use lesser quality caps than the X193Ws! lol wtf?
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                    X