D-Link DI-604 router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D-Link DI-604 router

My D-Link DI-604 router HW B1 had a capacitor bulging and leaking a little bit (I saw it after 2 years 24/7 usage). Unfortunately I don't remember the capacitor manufacturer. All I remember is that it was rated for 85oC. The router was still working even with the leaking cap.

You can see it on the top left corner. The big electrolyte capacitor.

Re: D-Link DI-604 router

Soooo....do you have this router?

If you do have it then couldn't you just pop it open again and see what capacitor is there. The thing that you really need to know is the rating in micro Farads. That way you can easily just pick up a top quality Japanese capacitor and solder it in.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
      Soooo....do you have this router?

If you do have it then couldn't you just pop it open again and see what capacitor is there. The thing that you really need to know is the rating in micro Farads. That way you can easily just pick up a top quality Japanese capacitor and solder it in.
      Yes, I still have it. But I've already changed the capacitor and added few heatsinks too:

Comment

is that SC the new cap? That is a known bad cap company.

Comment

Originally posted by PedroDaGr8
          is that SC the new cap? That is a known bad cap company.
          Humm thanks. I'll replace that one too...

Comment

Re: D-Link DI-604 router and DI-524

Well for a couple years I had been using a D-Link DI-524 wireless broadband router, first at home and then at school. Last fall up at school, it would start dropping wireless connections randomly, which was annoying. I opened it up, and (not knowing capacitors could go bad at the time) didn't see anything wrong. So I spent 80 bucks and bought a new router (this new one's gigabit though ). Recently I found the old one, and took it apart again. What should I find, but bulging and vented capacitors!

11 Electrolytic caps, all from the "Forever" brand. Looks like they didn't last forever...

The two closest big ones to the camera have bulged, the one on the right vented through the stamp at the top

Nice shot of the Forever logo...and check out that depth of field! hehe

And here it is after replacing all of the electrolytics:
            4x Forever 1000uF 10v -> Panasonic FM 1000uF 10v (and my size measurements were wrong...oh well)
            7x Forever 100uF 25v -> Panasonic EB 100uF 25v

And to my utter amazement, it works! The transplant surgery took my and my friend about 3 hours, from 1am to 4am....just a tip - don't ever try to recap something in the middle of the night, it will just lead to a lot of swearing and soldering iron burns.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hehe that board is a double sided PCB with through hole vias. It takes a bit of practice to remove the caps and install new ones on these boards quickly.

Nice job!

Apparently those caps didn't last "Forever" .
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

but it will be remembered for forever that it is crap.
                days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

these caps will be crap... forever

i once had a siemens speedstream wireless-b router that never had issues. i was bored amd opend it, found one bulged tocon, 6 tiny tocons with the bungs shoved completely down and outside of the cap- at first it looked like the caps were mounted on rubber bases until it dawned on me that the thing had no good caps inside. at least i got a pc card out of it
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                  X