X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidea GeForce FX 5200 out of a DELL Dim-8300

Exactly the same failure exhibited in an earlier thread here

Attached images are of my card.

Repairing will probably cost less than replacement, so that is what I'll probably do. Just need to find a good source for the 1000uF 6.3v caps. Probably from the forum owner.

JM Fox
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jmfox; 06-27-2009, 03:16 PM. Reason: Fixed tags

Re: Nvidea GeForce FX 5200 out of a DELL Dim-8300

I have to say that looks familiar. Mine was in a Dimension 4600 and as I have a couple more and don't know how many mor my friend has, I also will be looking to acquire more to do repairs. Extra AGP cards on hand helps sometime.

Comment

Found some caps on Ebay. I am going to try to combine shipping from a single seller and get a little stash of an assortment. I plan on only replacing the 4 1000uF 6.3V caps (Skywell SHT). The other two 1- 100uF 10V (Sanyo Black sleeve) and a 510/4 OS CONN (Sanyo as well I believe) have no visual display of malfunction. So we shall see if replacing the 4 blown caps will correct the issues with the board.

If anyone happens to know, how do you decrypt the Sanyo OS CONN sleeve label? is it a 510uF 4V cap? just guessing here.

Jim

Comment

I have a dimension 4600 with a FX5200 in it, it has all sanyo electrolytics and solids.

Weird.

Comment

LOL another example of Potemkin design

Show everyone a well built card with good components. Following general acceptance, start swapping components for cheaper ones.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dell, corporate, didn't even know about it or hadn't even noticed.

Jim

Comment

We bought our dimension 4600 about when they started producing them.

These dimensions were probalby produced later. They might have ran out or ran low on sanyo's, and replaced them with skywell SHIT series.

Comment

I also have the same card. One cap was hit and pushed over sideways. I pushed it back to its normal position and plugged it in. It works for now... I think I will just buy a new card soon.
              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
              Rod Serling

Comment

Well can't test it... no AGP slots here. But the caps a swapped & I'll whine if it isn't working

But my miserably out of practice soldering skills seem to have worked.
                Attached Files

Comment

Good job Jim!

Comment

Jmfox would you be interested in recapping my FX 5200? I have a backup card to use while you would be capping mine. Let me know what you think.
                    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                    Rod Serling

Comment

If you tossed it in the mail I'd do it. But no guarantee's. It would cost you shipping and a few bucks.

If I were you... I'd hit up ebay for a few caps, buy/borrow an iron and give it a whirl.

Buy Caps Not mine... just an example

It's not hard. Practice on some wire pushed through cardboard.

But for what it's worth, if your really interested I have the time. Pick your shipping method & pack the card, include return shipping cost + say 10 bucks.

JMFOX
                      Last edited by jmfox; 07-17-2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Board tested fine. Reinstalled the board in the system today, booted fine, display worked fine. Ran the diagnostic software (came with the system) for about four hours, glancing at it occasionally, never saw a hick up.

So I pronounce it good, for what that is worth

See Below: Bad Caps, Not Bad Caps.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X