Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with netgear component identification..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with netgear component identification..

It seems like a diode to me but I am not sure.... The component is labeled BD1

Full board:

Any help is greatly appreciated! : )

Re: Help with netgear component identification..

Crispy part is a ferrite inductor/filter SMD. Pick one from junker boards. But this is where supply voltage flows through this and get filtered of high frequency noise of both ways.

When this fry, you have short circuit. Need to find the short, means a tool called DMM.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Actually i'm pretty sure it's an SMT resistor, 0 Ohms if i had to guess. Going by BD3, which is in the same part of the circuit, right below BD1. Looks like the board was designed to be populated by different parts, based on how much the bean counters decided to leave out. See the solder through holes on both sides of BD1 and BD2? That's where an actual through hole ferrite bead would be.. SMT ferrites exist as well, but going by what BD3 is stuffed with, they decided to cheapen the build a bit. An SMT ferrite would be significantly thicker than the part that is shown burnt up there.. I'm guessing that this uses a switching power supply that plugs in via JP1?

Comment

0 Ohm resistor? One would think that a bit of wire would be cheaper and more economical to use than that.

I am guessing that it probably is an inductor, as Wizard said, just get another one from a junk board. Maybe you can buy them, however I do not know where.

Comment

You can't put a piece of wire in a pick and place machine.. Hence why 0 Ohm resistors exist.. :-P

Like i said, Netgear cheaped out, and put 0 Ohm resistors in the place of the ferrite beads..

Invert the colors, and zoom in on it, you'll see that the part is identical (except for the fact it's burnt up) to the part BD3 directly below it.

Comment

Working...
          X