Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony TV (kdl50r550a) issue

Hi Everyone.

Hoping to get some help with this issue on this great site.

My TV is a 3 yr old Sony (KDL 50R550A). When I turn it on the whole screen moves up and down about a quarter of an inch every 3 seconds. At the beginning (when it is cold) the screen shows scan lines when it moves. It also seems to go from brighter to darker. Here is a video showing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RQP7dV3eQo

After it warms up (15 mins) the scan lines go (except for a black scan line down the very bottom) but it still moves up and down. Here is a video showing this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l9oEnMG00w

It was easier to show the problem on an empty input screen but it happens on every source.
    After numerous searching on the NET it seems this is a common problem for this TV and it is a defective panel issue which needs to be replaced.

I came across these two videos posted on youtube with similar problems however both of these users said the problem went away after awhile (they say so in the comment section). Also it looks like only half their screen goes up and down (for me its the whole screen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA2NTs-uKcM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roxl3vWoKwU

My question to everyone here is how can a defected panel fix itself over time? Does anyone know what the issue is? IS it worth waiting it out to see if it fixes itself or should I buy a new TV?

Thanks for any help I get.
    IAN

Re: Sony TV (kdl50r550a) issue

Panel is shot. I had one that did the same thing, almost scrapped it. I just got one in that would not turn on, so I swapped out the main board and made a good tv out of the 2 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
      Panel is shot. I had one that did the same thing, almost scrapped it. I just got one in that would not turn on, so I swapped out the main board and made a good tv out of the 2 of them.
      Thanks for you help.
      Did you click on the two YouTube links at the bottom of my post?
      Both those users (I have been in contact with them) said the issue fixed itself after a few weeks. I agree it's a panel issue but it makes no sense that it corrects itself after time.

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
        Could you say that a little slower....Didn't catch what you meant...did the math and it didn't add up to two working TVs....

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
          Could you say that a little slower....Didn't catch what you meant...did the math and it didn't add up to two working TVs....

LOL I thought the same thing

Comment

Tv #1 had the jumping screen issue. I obtained another tv , same model, that would not turn
            on. I pulled the mb. from the "jumpy tv" and put it into the non-turner-oner tv #2 and it worked.
            Sold last Sat. I never had a tv that could "heal" itself. Mine got worse and worse.
            Did I mention that I hate Sonys? Ive been repairing tvs for 3 years and this one is the second one I fixed.(dozens of other lcd, led, and plasmas under my belt).

Comment

Thanks for your help.
              OK I wont put any hope in this TV suddenly fixing like the youtube user claims his did.
              As of now, I also hate Sony. When I spoke to Sony Customer Service they told me 3 years is the expected life of a TV these days. Forget that!
              The Sony Forum is more like a support group for people like me with new TVs that don't work. Such a shame.

Comment

You can fix that Sony by placing a piece of scotch tape (about a 1/4 wide) across either the left side contacts or the right side contacts of one of the ribbons going to the tconn. disconnect one side at a time, and check picture. One side will show a normal picture (just half of it) and the other side will show the jumpy side when connected. place the tape on that ribbon, try the left or the right side of that ribbon. In the end you will still have a faint line where the panel is shorted, but you'll still have a workable picture. I've fixed 7-8 of that model that way. Not sure how long it will last, but maybe you can use it as a tv in your garage or something. You have nothing to lose at this point...
                Last edited by jjanssen7; 04-26-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjanssen7 View Post
                  You can fix that Sony by placing a piece of scotch tape (about a 1/4 wide) across either the left side contacts or the right side contacts of one of the ribbons going to the tconn. disconnect one side at a time, and check picture. One side will show a normal picture (just half of it) and the other side will show the jumpy side when connected. place the tape on that ribbon, try the left or the right side of that ribbon. In the end you will still have a faint line where the panel is shorted, but you'll still have a workable picture. I've fixed 7-8 of that model that way. Not sure how long it will last, but maybe you can use it as a tv in your garage or something. You have nothing to lose at this point...
                  Thanks so much jjanseen
                  This is exactly the kind of help I was looking for.
                  I'm going to try it today and Ill report back how it went.
                  I have a feeling the permanent line will be right down the bottom as that's the one I'm always seeing.

Comment

The method described by jjanssen7 is called the 'Cut-Off' method for fixing failts like yours. I have done it and so far I have had no call backs. You do lose a bit of the picture quality but it is minimal if not negligible, It takes some tome to get the right spot to place the stationery tape or Scotch Tape but with some patience you will get thru with it if you persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
                      The method described by jjanssen7 is called the 'Cut-Off' method for fixing failts like yours. I have done it and so far I have had no call backs. You do lose a bit of the picture quality but it is minimal if not negligible, It takes some tome to get the right spot to place the stationery tape or Scotch Tape but with some patience you will get thru with it if you persevere.

Thanks for helping Andrew. I haven't tried it yet.
                      From my understanding, I'll determine which side of the ribbon eleiminates the error by taping the whole side (I will see quality loss at this point). THen I'll gradually make the tape as small as I can untill the error comes back, then retape that spot?

Comment

When I insert the ribbon and take out etc, can I leave the TV on with the picture showing, or should I turn off the power every time I plug in and unplug the ribbon.
                        Thanks

Comment

Power down TV each time.

Start with disconnecting ribbons one side at at time to determine which side has the fault in the panel.

Once you have determined which side has the failure, just use a full width piece of tape on the left side OR on the right side of the ribbon in question. Once you have determined which side of the ribbon to cover, you can now "thin" the piece of tape for the best possible picture.

Hints:

1) the tape will pretty much always need to start on the edge of the ribbon and cover the first bunch of contact points from the edge. Shouldn't need more width than 1/2 inch.

2) ALWAYS POWER DOWN BETWEEN TESTS OR DISCONNECTING RIBBONS. It's not hard to short out a TConn while disconnecting/reconnecting. Trust me, I've done it.

3) For testing purposes, disconnect the ribbon at the tconn side. otherwise the ribbon (if disconnected on the panel side) is still live when the tv is powered on and can short against the chassis, which may short out the tconn.
                          Last edited by jjanssen7; 04-28-2017, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Hi Guys. No luck so far.

When I pulled the bottom ribbon out (largest one) the back light comes on but no image (no sony icon, menu etc). When I pulled the top one out and left the bottom ribbon in I can see an image with vertical lines and the jumping scenario (shorting) I am try to fix so I imagine it is this ribbon.

There are gold contacts only on one side of the ribbon. When I scotch tape these contacts I have to use a very small piece of tape as if I use larger piece, the screen is on but again no image to work with (sony icon etc).
                            Eventually I came to a section of the ribbon where I had to narrow the tape down to a very thin strand (to get image) and what I saw was some distorted flashing lines and the backlight going dark to light.

I think the problem may be in this area but I cant seems to “cut off” the pins and get an image to produce on screen. If I use too much tape in that area (covering 2 to 3 pins) no image will come on to work with and if I go narrower (1 pin) is see distortions on the screen. Its as though covering the problem area makes it worse.

I hope this makes sense. I never had an image (sony logo menu etc) where the jumping wasn't occurring.

Hoping for any help I can get. If you think the set is TOAST let me know.
                            Thanks

IAN

Comment

Try the other side of the ribbon you are working on. if you are working on the left side try the right side. cover the 10 most connecters going right from the edge.

BTW< I'm confused why you mention "top and bottom" ribbon.... as the tconn is on the bottom of the TV wouldn't it be "left or right" ribbon?

Comment

One more thing: Now that you have isolated which side (left or right ribbon) is creating the problem, you may need to reconnect the other ribbon (the good side) to get a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by jjanssen7 View Post
                                  One more thing: Now that you have isolated which side (left or right ribbon) is creating the problem, you may need to reconnect the other ribbon (the good side) to get a picture.
                                  Thanks for helping J

Sorry if Im confusing you.

Im 100% confident I have isolated the pin causing this issue.

The problem is, using a tiny amount of scotch tape on the spot, covering the pin so that it is 'cut off', when I power the TV on, with all ribbons connected at each end, the back light comes on, but no image (Sony icon, menus,) etc.
                                  It just stays black.

If I remove that tape an image will appear.

I just cant get any image on the screen with the tape covering that spot.

ANy suggestions what to do from here?

Comment

Holly crap its fixed!

Stupid me. I was scotch taping the pins on the ribbon that leaves the motherboard to the TCON instead of the ribbon (hidden underneath a metal plate) that leaves from the TCON to the panel.

As soon as I put a small bit of tape on that the jumping stopped!

I cant even see any loss if quality.

Thanks again for all your help.

Is it OK to give you guys the credit (use your usernames) as I feel like I should help others in different forums (SONY, youtube) that have reported the same error?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian54321 View Post
                                      Holly crap its fixed!

Stupid me. I was scotch taping the pins on the ribbon that leaves the motherboard to the TCON instead of the ribbon (hidden underneath a metal plate) that leaves from the TCON to the panel.

As soon as I put a small bit of tape on that the jumping stopped!

I cant even see any loss if quality.

Thanks again for all your help.

Is it OK to give you guys the credit (use your usernames) as I feel like I should help others in different forums (SONY, youtube) that have reported the same error?
                                      UPDATE

When using the TV as a computer monitor I can see a loss of quality in the top right corner (scan lines and the led light for that area blinking on and off).
                                      Hard to see when watching cable unless you focus on that spot.

Comment

Good job, but I still hate SONY tvs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X