Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 update could evolve into malware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 update could evolve into malware?

You probably have heard about the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall, and I have heard about an update being rolled out which would disable the unit including the charge function, but I believe there is a possibility that this update could be used as malware for other devices as well.

What are your thoughts about this?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 update could evolve into malware?

The update was pushed out by carriers to disable the phone after some owners ignored the global recall.
    I have read that they are thinking about selling the Note 7 with a new battery in some areas.

Comment

thats the reason I dont update my note3, or even windows anymore.... Modern MS products are malware in themselves.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        thats the reason I dont update my note3, or even windows anymore.... Modern MS products are malware in themselves.
        I'll be careful now in updating

Comment

Sorry guys, BUT:

This Phone explodes sometimes for various reasons.
          It's forbidden on some airlines as well
          The manufacturer recalled it. gave the users a total refund.
          This thing is just _DANGEROUS_

Still, many users didn't get a replacement for the phone.

What else can Samsung do?!
          It seems like they have 2 options:
          a) Don't do anythning and hope no one dies

b) brick the phone with an update, to FORCE the users to get a refund.

In this case, the bricking of the phone is the right and responsible thing to do...
          The Alternative would be that someone might or even will die!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
            Sorry guys, BUT:

This Phone explodes sometimes for various reasons.
            It's forbidden on some airlines as well
            The manufacturer recalled it. gave the users a total refund.
            This thing is just _DANGEROUS_

Still, many users didn't get a replacement for the phone.

What else can Samsung do?!
            It seems like they have 2 options:

In this case, the bricking of the phone is the right and responsible thing to do...
            While i agree, the actions of Samsung could be seen as setting a precedent. Now carriers could use the tools laid out by Samsung in order to force customers to buy new devices. I know for a fact you can shut down the charging system on a Moto device (2013, at least) with a simple line of shell scripting, but im unsure of what Samsung did.
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
              Now carriers could use the tools laid out by Samsung in order to force customers to buy new devices.
              They could. But I have no doubt that they WILL get sued if they do it.
              At least here in Germany I doubt that anyone will try it...
              OK, Vodafone might. But if they did, the backlash would be enormous...

Comment

What else can Samsung do?! It seems like they have 2 options:
                I have the full right to use exploding phone, if I want so. They have no right to disable the phone, that I paid for.
                Tomorrow Samsung can force the users to install a update that disables certain features, for example disables completely a phone that is rooted. If they dare to do what they supposedly did, then there is no limit to what they can do to force users, to disable devices and to make profit.
                I will never buy a Samsung device, because they dare to decide instead of the users. And the user that paid money for something has the full right to use it as he wants and as it suits his needs.
                For example, I might have replaced the battery with other.
                Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                  I have the full right to use exploding phone, if I want so. They have no right to disable the phone, that I paid for.
                  Tomorrow Samsung can force the users to install a update that disables certain features, for example disables completely a phone that is rooted. If they dare to do what they supposedly did, then there is no limit to what they can do to force users, to disable devices and to make profit.
                  I will never buy a Samsung device, because they dare to decide instead of the users. And the user that paid money for something has the full right to use it as he wants and as it suits his needs.
                  For example, I might have replaced the battery with other.
                  Exactly!

And, just to add to discussion, For once, i like Verizon, as they refused to push said update. Instead of bricking devices so they can't even do E911, they redirect non-emergency calls. https://arstechnica.com/information-...note-7-phones/

No bricking hardware you own!
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

unfortunately they seem to own the software same as with cars i guess .. so when you buy these things they dont totally belong to you .. suppose you could be a little clever and install your own software and change id numbers like imie to one that works on cell network then the device is more or less yours .

Comment

dont change the IMEI, just flash new firmware & recovery partitions.
                      it's probably full of korean spyware anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                        unfortunately they seem to own the software same as with cars i guess .. so when you buy these things they dont totally belong to you .. suppose you could be a little clever and install your own software and change id numbers like imie to one that works on cell network then the device is more or less yours .
                        Except that's not the case.... Android is Opensource. Samsung own Android as much as Oracle owns MariaDB. Though, the fact that you receive updates from Samsung does mean you get what's pushed to you. Now, Samsung did go against the Android design guidelines with the initial "fix", so obviously they have zero respect for the platform, so im not surprised that they treated it the way they did...
                        Last edited by goontron; 04-29-2017, 08:38 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I have the full right to use exploding phone, if I want so.
                          No, not really...

There are things you just can't do, especially if it's possible to hurt other people or damage others property. And that's the case here!

You don't go to the super market and throw M-80 around, do you??

It seems you forget that we talk about a dangerous device that was recalled and refunded to 100% by the manufacturer! That's no laughing joke!
                          Those recalls must NOT be taken lightly ever!

Comment

No, not really...

There are things you just can't do, especially if it's possible to hurt other people or damage others property. And that's the case here!

It seems you forget that we talk about a dangerous device that was recalled and refunded to 100% by the manufacturer! That's no laughing joke!
                            Those recalls must NOT be taken lightly ever!
                            Don't know about the rest of the US, but here in the deep west fireworks are all too common.....

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

No, not really...There are things you just can't do, especially if it's possible to hurt other people or damage others property. And that's the case here!
                              I can do whatever I want with the hardware I have paid for.
                              YES, REALLY. For example, I might have replaced the battery with aftermarket Li-Ion cell to solve the problem with the exploding batteries. So, my phone will not explode, even if it's a Galaxy Note7.
                              In this case, what right they have to disable the device, that I have paid for?
                              Stop being naive, this is a precedent, a door opened for a whole new world of malicious activities against users.
                              Tomorrow they may decide that my device is dangerous, because it's rooted and I don't want Knox.
                              And last thing after all - Samsung are complete MORONS to make phones with customer non-removable batteries.
                              This is why I no longer use Samsung phones. The current phone I have is a Chinese almost no name brand. With removable battery and without all the crap, with which Samsung phones come. I don't want samsung store, samsung knox and whatever shit they want to offer or to force me to use. And apps that I would never use, but they are there only to take the storage space of the device.
                              I know that in Germany, you always play by the book, but here in Bulgaria I will do whatever I want. F*ck samsung.
                              I gave money, then I own my device. They have no right to brick it. Better if they fix their shitty phones.
                              Don't compare phone with bazooka. Even if your phone is not Samsung, the battery can catch on fire. But just think about the quality of the batteries, that are integrated in the samsung devices, if they cannot even last the warranty period without explosions.
                              I would never again buy a samsung device. They are both expensive and low quality, it seems...
                              Last edited by televizora; 04-30-2017, 07:58 AM.
                              Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                              1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

I can do whatever I want with the hardware I have paid for.
                                Not if it's likely that you will hurt others with the device.
                                And that is the point in all of this!!

Samsung WANTs the Note 7 back. And there is absolutely NO damage for you!
                                And that's one thing that is missed in this discussion.

You can get a refund for the Note 7, is that still not enough?!
                                Do you demand a Porsche for compensation?!

SAMSUNG did the right thing and tried to minimize the damage to people...
                                But whatever you do in such situations it's wrong...

Would you be more happy if Samsung did the same thing that General motors did?! Try to hide the fact that their products are faulty?!
                                Last edited by Stefan Payne; 04-30-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Samsung WANTs the Note 7 back. And there is absolutely NO damage for you!
                                  And that's one thing that is missed in this discussion.

You can get a refund for the Note 7, is that still not enough?!
                                  So what, i can't use my Lenovo battery that has an ACTIVE recall for faulty cells, even though i have replaced them with high quality cells that won't overheat? 'Cause you can do the exact same thing with the Note 7. Then what? Huh? You still got a brick! Now, unlike Samsung, Lenovo DID NOT BRICK YOUR GODDAMNED LAPTOP BECAUSE OF THE BAD BATTERY! (really, it's not like they could have in my case... What with running Linux and having flashed COREBOOT)
                                  Last edited by goontron; 04-30-2017, 08:35 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

It's not enough. They have no right to brick the device. Today, the pretext will be faulty batteries, tomorrow would be something else. At the end, they will brick your device, because you refuse to register Samsung Account and NSA account, so everyone would be able to spy on you.
                                    It's the precedent that matters, not the reason. The road to hell is paved with good intentions...
                                    The truth is that it's god damned phone, not faulty nuclear warhead. And I can replace the battery with aftermarket cell. Then my device would be with perfectly working battery. So, why they should disable my device?
                                    Last edited by televizora; 05-01-2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

It's not enough. They have no right to brick the device. Today, the pretext will be faulty batteries, tomorrow would be something else. At the end, they will brick your device, because you refuse to register Samsung Account and NSA account, so everyone would be able to spy on you.
                                      It's the precedent that matters, not the reason. The road to hell is paved with good intentions...
                                      The truth is that it's god damned phone, not faulty nuclear warhead. And I can replace the battery with aftermarket cell. Then my device would be with perfectly working battery. So, why they should disable my device?
                                      There is no precedent. They issued a global recall with a full refund. For those ignorant or stupid they pushed out the update. Ensuring safety for others. I call bs on your aftermarket battery. If Samsung couldnt sort it twice I doubt anyone is making them that slim.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                        I call bs on your aftermarket battery. If Samsung couldn't sort it twice I doubt anyone is making them that slim.
                                        To be quite fucking honest, Shitsung engineers are ID10Ts...
                                        Note 7 battery dimensions 38.4mm x 99.2mm x 5.4mm. 3500Mah
                                        Galaxy S7 battery dimensions 37.5mm x 88mm x 5mm. 3000Mah

Replace the flex between that battery and the mainboard and you have a drop in replacement using an S7 battery. Sans half a Wh...

As for why blokes at Samsung didn't go "We will replace the battery in the phone so it won't flame out, but the runtime is going to be marginally shorter" is beyond me....
                                        Last edited by goontron; 05-01-2017, 08:52 AM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X