Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Next Megapixel 17" color (aka Sony m41kka16x)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Next Megapixel 17" color (aka Sony m41kka16x)

Hi folks,

Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have a Next display that has the following symptoms: Turn power on, display powers up, a few seconds later there's a click/hum (kind of like a degauss) and the power light goes out. If I turn it off and back on again, nothing happens. If I turn it off and wait a bit, it works again for a few seconds.

I can't find any schematics for this or for the Sony. Next sold a couple of these displays that were rebranded Sony's, Hitachi's or Fimi-Phillips.

I've found posts on fixing similar issues for the Fimi by replacing some caps and transistors on the high voltage supply.

I've discharged the CRT and I'm comfortable working with vintage electronics (lots of cap replacement, chip replacement, trace repair under my belt), but I know next to nothing about CRT theory/repair.

I'd love to be able to fix up this display.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Re: Help with Next Megapixel 17" color (aka Sony m41kka16x)

Greetings,

I have the same issue with my 17inch Megapixel display for my Next. I was curious if you ever found a manual or any additional documentation for the monitor.

Thanks!

Comment

Never found any service manual. I dug into it since I didn't have anything to lose. I got it to power up (and stay on) by replacing every capacitor and a voltage regulator IC on the PSU board that had the leads corroded by electrolyte.

Then I replaced every cap on the analog board because I could smell electrolyte when it got warm and lots of the caps looked suspect. I still don't have an image, though I have raster now. Some small pots on the analog board look like electrolyte got to them, but I haven't had a chance to replace them yet.

It's an ongoing project...

Comment

Are there any other numbers on the chassis? like X-1 chassis ? I have checked around and it might be similar to a CPD-17SF1

Comment

It's closed back up and in the "I'll get to it someday" pile, so I don't know if there are any other markings.

I couldn't find a free service manual to DL for the CPD-17SF1.

Comment

Working...
          X