Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denon X5200W - No Video, No Audio and CAN NOT SET UP

Hi Guys,
    I am trying to fix a Denon X5200 AVR with the following symptoms. Appreciate if you can help my by providing pointers to fix this.

No Video output on the TV/Monitor
    No Audio on speakers and also in headphones, though I can hear the speaker relay clicks upon power up.
    Set up Function ( both on AVR and remote) doesn't respond. so can not do the configuration.

Thanks,

Re: Denon X5200W - No Video, No Audio and CAN NOT SET UP

Greetings.

Well, you can start with the standard things, but most likely the problem is in one ( or more ) of the chips on the HDMI board.
    The standard thing is to measure the low voltage rails. Then check if each chip/controller on the hdmi board gets its power supply.
    If you get good voltage readings everywhere, you can try tracing the audio signals through the board.

If there are any BGA chips on the hdmi board you can try reflowing them.

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
      Greetings.

Well, you can start with the standard things, but most likely the problem is in one ( or more ) of the chips on the HDMI board.
      You are saying that faults on the HDMI board can disable the menu system? The OP does not say which input he is using as a source. Need more specific info on that part.

What does it mean if you have a "normal" display on the front panel, but no response to front panel buttons or to remote control?? I would say that the unit is in "child lock" mode. Just a guess.
      Is it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
        You are saying that faults on the HDMI board can disable the menu system? The OP does not say which input he is using as a source. Need more specific info on that part.

What does it mean if you have a "normal" display on the front panel, but no response to front panel buttons or to remote control?? I would say that the unit is in "child lock" mode. Just a guess.
        I have two personal examples - denon 2113 and onkyo tx nr609
        Both have "no video and no sound" issue.
        Onkyo have acknowledged the problem and blame faulty BGA chips.
        Denon officially have not acknowledged the issue, but many users have experienced it ( there is a topic about this here ).
        Both units appear to be fully functional - they switch on, the displays work fine, the menus are fine, only that they do not pass any sound from the inputs to the analog part ( the amplifiers ).
        The denon unit indeed has partial menu functionality - for instance it operates fine the network part ( successfully opens network radio streams and the network/usb DAC produces sound, but that sound then is not routed properly to the amplifier ), but cannot operate the tuner section, the output switching chip ( even though the display shows switching through the inputs ) and most likely the main DAC, the DSP processor, the HDMI switching and so on. The firmware version of the HDMI section also seem to be corrupted.
        People say that the denon problem is caused be deteriorating memory chips - the write/read processes are interrupted and eventually the firmware gets corrupted/unreadable which causes partial or total failure to operate.

Of course this does not mean that the post owner's unit has the same problem. It is always best just to start with the simple things - factory reset, voltage readings, loose connection, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
          I have two personal examples - denon 2113 and onkyo tx nr609
          Both have "no video and no sound" issue.
          You are saying that these two products are actually the same, or very nearly so? Just a different brand name on the front?
          Is it plugged in?

Comment

Oh no, not the same.. they /that two units/ just share similar issue - premature chip deteriorating and/or bad BGA solder joints.
            Well, at least the board designs are different, the analog parts also. Still, they use third party cpu, memory, dps, video processing, hdmi/audio switching, dac/adc chips and it is not uncommon to see the same chips in one generation similar price range receivers..... so probably yes.. it could be said that the hardware inside the metal boxes is the same.

Comment

Working...
            X