Samsung 2053BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 2053BW

Got this one in the batch of 5 last week.

Looks in good shape except part of the base is missing. If anyone has a spare...

Plugged it in... dead. no light, nada.

Disassembled. That was the hardest part. Bezel didn't want to separate, and the bottom wanted to come first, but the button board doesn't have a connector on it.
    Anyway, after wrestling it apart, I get the power supply/inverter removed, and see 2 obvious 1000@16 Samwah bloaters.

I do a full recap 10 caps total. All Panny FMs 'cept for a 47@35 Nichichon, and test fuse, and check for shorts. Everythings looks good.
    Reassemble, and fire it up. Looks really nice!
    A beautiful 20 inch monitor for $5.96 worth of parts and 40 mins labour.

Now to find a base...
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: Samsung 2053BW

If it has VESA mounting holes on the back (most brand name monitors do), you could go hunting on ebay for a foot/stand from another monitor and use that instead of trying to find the original one

like these (just examples)
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/220658065031
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/280632892049
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/150499477177

the only thing you need to know is how far the holes are apart.
    for computer monitors up to 24", the 2 most commonly used sizes are 75mm and 100mm. (known as VESA75 and VESA100)

PS: most new(-ish) LCD monitors are designed to be taken apart lying face/screen down. (ie: you lift the back cover off, not the front)

Comment

True, in fact I have a Samsung 171s that I decided was unrepairable which has exactly such a stand. I'd still prefer the original if I can find one, as it will look much better.

Interesting I have 2 LCD TVs sans-stands as well, got them from the same source, and both were fully functional. Makes you wonder...

This one is for a 22" different part number, but very similar:
      http://cgi.ebay.ca/MONITOR-STAND-AND...item3a638c202b

However $20.00 starting bid plus $23.00 shipping, is way out of line even if it was the right part....
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

i would go ahead and look around on ebay for you, but i can't see the shipping costs without the postal code.. :/

BTW: my 22" Samsung 2233BW is mounted on a Lenovo stand from a 19" non-wide LCD. the original one was really cheap and nasty (plastic blob from the stand clicked into a rubber compartment in the monitor) and was kinda worn out so it tended to slowly tilt forwards or backwards from the monitors weight alone
        didn't wanna risk the monitor falling over because of the stand completely letting go someday..

slight mismatch in "color", but the pic makes it look much worse than it is in real life (probably due to the flash)..
        oh and ignore the crude cut-out using GIMP.. too much chaos around there

http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps...vs_samsung.jpg

edit: i just noticed.. the lenovo stand here looks pretty much identical to the one in the 2nd ebay link in post #2
        Last edited by Scenic; 02-23-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Was going to post my story today, but found this thread, so just adding...

Got one of these monitors today, same as OP, absolutely no life when plugged in, no light, blinking or otherwise, zilch.

Ditto, getting inside was the hardest, started at the bottom right corner, and worked the bezel off anticlockwise.

Once inside, same 2 Samwah 1000uF/16V caps bulging, I initially just replaced these two with Panasonic FMs (I'm the copy-cat recapper!), partially put it back together, and volia, nice working monitor. Had replacement caps for some of the others, so ended up changing 6 of the 10 (I haven't changed the 4 470uF/25V which are part of the inverter circuit yet, as I don't have them to hand - will replace them later).

Put it back together (clipped back easier than it came apart), and connect it up for a test, everything functioning great. Cosmetically, the screen is almost flawless, and everything cleaned up like new. The monitor was free, so for the cost of the caps, a quick phonecall, and a 20km drive, which I was able to combine with another errand, a nice outcome.

If only all fixes could be this easy!

Comment

What an awful chassis design... I have around 8 of these set up somewhere, they've been in use for around 3 years and one of them failed - not detecting any video signal from the PC, but the OSD is showing.

The lower part of the base (the platform) is removeable, but the neck is not. Have to wedge the frame apart to take it apart and then maneuver your way through on the inside. Once inside, you can see that the neck is riveted to the metal EMI casing. I'm not going to put this one back together while waiting for the caps as I usually do because I don't want to take it apart again.

I'll try to post a BOM later. Caps are Samyoung and Samwha. None of them are bloated or show any other signs of physical failure. I'm going to replace all of them. Surprised they lasted this long. Pretty impressive for these brands.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
            X