Noisy transformer, flickering backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy transformer, flickering backlights

Here is an interesting one, I just recently inherited this monitor, and the Symptom were really bad flickering of the CCFLs and a lot of noise.
    I opened up the monitor and gave it a good looking over, nothing jumped out as being bad.
    I was able to substitute 4 CCFLs from another monitor, powering on the monitor the lamps all came on and stayed on with no noise coming from the monitor.
    With the inverter out where I could see what was going on I re installed the original backlights, powered the monitor on and had noise in the inverter area and flickering of the back lights, What was really strange is there was an yellow/orange glow from the CCFL transformer on the bottom closest to the power plug and noise coming from the transformer. At that time it was time to pull the power plug, I was really afraid it was going to flame out on me.
    To go one step further, I installed my test CCFLs in the bottom CCFL connector and powered on the monitor, everything worked as it should.
    Opening up the LCD one of the bottom HOT leads had melted off the CCFL and was close enough to the metal frame of the LCD that it was able to sustain an arc to ground.
    The transformer is passing the 3% resistance test, I know CCFLs will fix the noisy /glowing transformer, so I guess without a ring tester I going to hope the life of the transformer hasn't been shortened.
    If you look at the picture you can see some transfer of a white material around the broken HOT wire
    Attached Files
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!
Working...
X