Acer AL1916W A - Was coming on, now no response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL1916W A - Was coming on, now no response

I am new to the board and new to the do-it-yourself repair. I received an Acer AL1916W A for free. The monitor will turn on, display the Acer logo, show the image from the computer, then turn off. The image can be seen using a flashlight. This can be repeated as often as you want to turn off / on the monitor.

I opened the monitor and have since replaced all of the capacitors with the exception of the 47uF 50V and 22uF 50V.

The replacements that I used were:
    220F 25V - Nichicon UVZ1E221MPD1TD
    1000uF 10V - Jackcon 02 09C LPS (these were used since I had them from a previous reCap, before I knew about good/bad caps)
    1000uF 25V - Nichicon UHV1E102MPD1CC
    2200uF 10V - Nichicon UVZ1A222MPD

Replacement of the caps did not change the function of the monitor.

The voltage going to the video board is 0v, 0v, 5.43v, 15.63v, 5.45v 0v, 0v, 0.06v. During the measuring, I some how managed to blow the F100 and F101 fuses and currently have them bridged until I can get them replaced. The pictures were before I bridged them. These voltages were reading zero before I discovered the fuses not reading continuity. Where is the best / easiest place to order these surface mount fuses? (F100 appears to be 2A 63VDC SMD 1206, F101 appears to be a 4A 24VDC SMD 1206 if I am reading the schematic correctly)

From reading other posts in the forum , I believe the issue is possibly in the MOSFETs. I'm not sure if they can be checked while still attached to the board or not. The voltage reading on the base of the one furthest from the power cord is a constant 15.46V and the other one is a decreasing voltage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have two more monitors that were given to me and I would like to work on repairing them also. I have an e-Machines that turns on, displays, and then turns off, image still visible with lighting and an I-inc (HannsG) that sometimes turns on after it has been sitting for a little while displays the image, and then turns off.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jayoung; 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM.

Re: Acer AL1916W A - Was coming on, now no response

Alot of times after you replace capacitors on this board F200 will fail,It's on the bottom side of the power supply.
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Re: Acer AL1916W A - Turns on, displays logo, displays image, then turns off

Originally posted by jayoung View Post
      The monitor will turn on, display the Acer logo, show the image from the computer, then turn off. The image can be seen using a flashlight.
      This sounds like "2 seconds to black". Possible causes are

1) bad caps
      2) bad inverter transformer
      3) bad ccfl
      4) bad ccfl wiring

For #2, refer to for identifying the secondary

http://lcdparts.net/TransformerDetai...ProductID=3359

For more details on all the above, see posts #13 and #14 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

PS. Great clear focused pictures.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the information retiredcaps, I had not found the "2 seconds to black" posting. I went through the troubleshooting and discovered that one of the ccfl's is bad. When I connected a known good ccfl in that slot, the monitor stayed on.

Thanks again for the information, I'm sure I will post more in the future. I now have the troubleshooting guide for the e-Machines that exhibits the same issue.

Comment

I went through the troubleshooting and discovered that one of the ccfl's is bad.
          Members here report good feedback with

ccflwarehouse.com

for replacements.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

After repairing the broken ccfl wire, the monitor worked for a few hours and then quit. The LED stays green and the image on the screen can be seen using a flashlight. I went ahead and ordered Panasonic FM capacitors for the entire power board to make sure it wasn't the capacitors that I bought originally that were causing the issues. I recently installed the new capacitors and also found that F200 is blown. I replaced F200, but it blew again. Reading through several threads, it appears there is a possibility that the FETs are bad. alexanna also replaced Q201, Q203, Q204, and Q208 but don't know if I should try replacing the FETs first and then replace Q201, Q203, Q204, and Q208 if replacing the FETs doesn't fix the problem. blackrider1 replaced the above mentioned 4 parts and quite a few others to fix a similar issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

You can perform a quick check on the mosfets Q5 and Q6 for shorts by doing the following:

On your first photo, look at the orientation of Q6. The tab is at the top and the 3 leads at the bottom. From left to right, you have the Gate(G), Drain(D) and Source(S) leads. With the monitor unplugged from power and your meter set to resistance, measure across the leads: G-D, G-S and S-D. If you read zero ohms on any of these measurements, then you have a short. Perform the same test on Q5. If one of the mosfets is shorted, replace both.

Comment

As an update, I purchased a new power board through e-Bay from a seller in China. It was $19.90 USD with free shipping. I purchased it last Sunday and it actually arrived today (1 week from China). I'm sure it has the same crap caps as the original, but hopefully it will work for another 4 years or more like the original and then the caps can be replaced or the monitor can be recycled at that time. Thanks for all of the help from everyone that replied (alexanna, retiredcaps, and jetadm123).

Comment

After repairing the broken ccfl wire, the monitor worked for a few hours and then quit. The LED stays green and the image on the screen can be seen using a flashlight. I went ahead and ordered Panasonic FM capacitors for the entire power board to make sure it wasn't the capacitors that I bought originally that were causing the issues. I recently installed the new capacitors and also found that F200 is blown. I replaced F200, but it blew again. Reading through several threads, it appears there is a possibility that the FETs are bad. alexanna also replaced Q201, Q203, Q204, and Q208 but don't know if I should try replacing the FETs first and then replace Q201, Q203, Q204, and Q208 if replacing the FETs doesn't fix the problem. blackrider1 replaced the above mentioned 4 parts and quite a few others to fix a similar issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                  Where do you get your parts from? I know you took the easy way out, but nevertheless, I am looking for the f200 fuse and I can't find a place that sells it. Could you PM me, or post a link to where I can purchase a few?

Comment

On this particular power supply it is important you use a FAST blow fuse,not just one off the shelf at an auto parts or Radio Shack.
                    If you live in the states they are available form Digi-Key or Mouser
                    they are not that expensive however,shipping from Digi-Key will be around a
                    2 bucks and a half.Ebay would be another option.
                    If f200 has a 'w' stamped on it,look at this one http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...206F400-2CT-ND
                    Last edited by alexanna; 08-20-2011, 05:57 AM.
                    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I replaced F200 with the following:

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...576-0466002.NR

Digi-Key also carries it:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=F1457DKR-ND

Comment

Working...
                      X