Graphical explantion of the Pen Lift output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphical explantion of the Pen Lift output

When I got a Philips PM5193 function generator, it had a Pen Lift output, and I wondered what it was.
    I later found out that the output is used to lift the pen on a chart recorder between the high (end) sweep frequency and the low (start) sweep frequency, just like beam blanking when the scan reaches the rightmost part of the screen and returns to the leftmost part of the screen.

Attached is a graphical explanation of a 1kHz-2kHz sweep (Channel 1) and the Pen Lift output (Channel 2).
    Note that there is some activity during the Pen Lift signal going high (when active), possibly to ensure tolerance of the sweep start and stop frequencies within user-set limits.

Before using the Pen Lift output, check the input (e.g. chart recorder) and output (e.g. function generator) specifications for this function, as outputs may vary from model to model.
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Graphical explantion of the Pen Lift output

Also attached is an enlaged picture of what happens when the Pen Lift output is active, under the same conditions as said earlier.
    I forgot to say that the sweep time is 10 milliseconds.
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Re: Graphical explantion of the Pen Lift output

ALso attached are the same waveforms, with the third being the Sweep (linear) output.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X