Viewsonic VG150, invisible crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VG150, invisible crack

Found what looked like a really clean Viewsonic VG150 in the dispose pile at work, minus the external power supply. No notes on it. Inspected it carefully under reasonably bright fluorescent light and didn't see anything wrong with it. Sure it is an old display, but who knows, maybe it was just thrown out because it was replaced with something bigger?

Spent a day trying to find an adapter that would fit, failed, and so opened it up and soldered a wire onto the +12V DC and put the ground wire under a screw, then ran it from a PC power supply. It started right up, and revealed an inch wide swath of dead pixels near the top, alongside a fine dark line that looked like a glass crack. However, that crack was only visible with the backlight on.

Turned it off, inspected it again (still inside) and could not see anything wrong with the screen glass, even knowing now where the problem was. Ran my fingernail over the screen and couldn't feel a discontinuity. Finally took it outside in the bright sun for inspection. Still couldn't see a crack in the glass under that illumination, but there was a swirling effect over the blown pixels that wasn't present anywhere else on the screen.

This is a new one for me. Usually a cracked screen is pretty obvious but not this time. Here it looks like the LCD layer split while the glass stayed mostly (entirely?) intact. I didn't care enough to tear it down further to find out for sure, and it went out to the ewaste.
Working...
X