Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 216BW : Are these good caps to purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 216BW : Are these good caps to purchase?

I have two Samsung 216BW monitors that are acting up, and I'm pretty sure both have a decent chance being caused by bad capacitors. When either is off for around 30 minutes, several minutes of flickering and hitting power switch repeatedly is needed to get them to turn on. One will flicker really fast for a bit, then turn off. When I cycle the power switch a few times, it eventually stays on. The other stays dark until I cycle the power switch a few times, then starts flickering, and after more cycling eventually stays on.

Once they're on, unless they turn off, they're good to go. Although one of them seems darker than it should at times, but only slightly.

I've looked at the capacitors on both power supplies, and they're slightly bulging.

Are these good capacitors to purchase to replace them with? I'm not 100% positive about all the specs on capacitors. (Since I have two monitors, I'll be actually ordering twice the quantities shown below.)

(5) Panasonic EEU-FM1E821L (Digikey P12391-ND) CAP ALUM 820UF 25V 20% RADIAL
    5000hrs @ 105C, 2.47a ripple current, ??ESR, 18 mOhm impedance
    (1) Panasonic EEU-FM1E331L (Digikey P12387-ND) CAP ALUM 330UF 25V 20% RADIAL
    3000hrs @ 105C, 1.24a ripple current, ??ESR, 41 mOhm impedance
    (1) Panasonic EEU-FC1H470 (Digikey P10321-ND) CAP ALUM 47UF 50V 20% RADIAL
    1000hrs @ 105C, 260mA ripple current, ??ESR, 600 mOhm impedance
    (1) Panasonic EEU-FM1H220 (Digikey P12927-ND) CAP ALUM 22UF 50V 20% RADIAL
    2000hrs @ 105C, 250mA ripple current, ??ESR, 340 mOhm impedance
    (1) Panasonic EEU-FC1H2R2 (Digikey P10313-ND) CAP ALUM 2.2UF 50V 20% RADIAL
    1000hrs @ 105C, 45mA ripple current, ??ESR, 1.8 Ohm impedance

I'm certainly not married to the brand Panasonic. Just saw a few people on here recommending those with Samsung monitors. I picked FM series where in stock, and FC where it wasn't.

I don't mind spending a bit extra to go with something better. I saw somewhere it's important to get low ESR capacitors, and I'm frustrated the ESR is blank everywhere at least on digikey.com.

Would these do a decent job, or do any of them jump out as: what's this guy doing ordering those?

Re: Samsung 216BW : Are these good caps to purchase?

Originally posted by darlingm View Post
    Are these good capacitors to purchase to replace them with?
    Yes. That is what most members here would have recommended.

You want the replacement caps to have the same or more ripple as the original. You want the same ESR or lower as the original.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      You want the replacement caps to have the same or more ripple as the original. You want the same ESR or lower as the original.
      and to fit in the space occupied by the originals. Although I haven't made *that* mistake myself, a number have picked caps that are too tall or too large in diameter.
      Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

I always shoot for the biggest (but also other parameters as retiredcaps mentioned) that will physically fit in the available space. Sometimes that means I can go to a larger diameter, seldom does it mean it can be more than 2mm taller if that... though a couple times when I was in a rush and out of stock, I soldered on the slightly too tall capacitor, put a dot of paint on top and while paint was wet, I held the metal PSU cover over it to mark location.

In that location I cut a hole to give the cap clearance. It's not something I recommend over the right size caps but in a pinch it'll do if the cap is close to fitting, or in some cases you can lay it sideways and cement it down with heat resistant cement (silicone caulking is the closest equivalent most people would already have in their workshop) and a wire strap around it through new holes drilled in the PCB. Just don't make the leads really long.

Comment

Working...
        X