Testing caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing caps

Just curious the proper way to test caps and other components.

Re: Testing caps

With a meter.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

A simple analog ohm meter won't tell you much except open, short, or an indication of charging by observing needle swing. A digital VOM is even worse since it will auto-change scales. Try using B&K Precision Model 815 Parts Tester designed to do the job.
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Kinda expensive, does it even measure ESR?
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

lcr meter

Comment

To test capacitors....you need a Capacitance Meter and an ESR Meter. There are some instruments that have these 2 in 1. I personally have separate instruments. When using the Capacitance Meter you need to remove the capacitor from the circuit. When using the ESR Meter you do not have to remove the capacitor from the circuit, but I still remove the capacitor from the circuit as I usually test capacitance and ESR together. The capacitance may be good but the ESR is high and this may shutdown your circuit and usually when capacitance is not good ESR is not good also.

Comment

Most of the information in this thread is bad. I mean, rly, the fact you have some experience does not always mean the reality is not totaly different.

ESR Micro has no problem measuring in circuit, the only thing to consider is that paralleling other (incl. small ceramic) caps adds to the capacitance, and substracts from the ESR. But when you know that things like "you need to remove the capacitor from the circuit" are just nonsense.

Most LCR and other funny meters, that's about 90% toys on the market, are useless for in-circuit measurement, that is true. Meters designed specifically for capacitors like said ESR Micro have no problem whatsoever. And I carry the v4.0si incl. worldwide shipping cheaper than that LCR toy posted here. Solution is to pick up the right device, not buy some shit and than spend half of your life removing components and testing them one by one out of circuit…
              Last edited by Behemot; 03-23-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X