help identify capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help identify capacitor

i have have just replaced a leaky surface mount type electro cap that i assumed was 33uf 6v by the markings on top of the original cap which were loke this.
    since replacing this cap the disk drive has got worse not better which makes me wonder if i read the value wrong.
    what value was this original cap?

6v
    36A

The capacitor I replaced it with has these markings:

6.s
    Y23
    Last edited by roadrash; 03-15-2017, 02:23 PM.

Re: help identify capacitor

Originally posted by roadrash View Post
    i have have just replaced a leaky surface mount type electro cap that i assumed was 33uf 6v by the markings on top of the original cap which were loke this.
    since replacing this cap the disk drive has got worse not better which makes me wonder if i read the value wrong.
    what value was this original cap?

6v
    36A

The capacitor I replaced it with has these markings:

6.s
    Y23
    The values are correct . But it seems your leaky capacitor is a victim to an ageing hard disk , if it is mechanical . What type you have exactly ?

Comment

Its actually a 3.5" 720k floppy disk drive. I seemed to have sorted it by removing the new SMD capacitor I fitted and substituting it with a traditional radial leaded components instead. I could have sworn I soldered the SMD cap in correctly but its not easy to see with these things. Anyway thanks but its working again now. cheers.

Comment

Just wondering, what need do you have for a floppy disk drive? Perhaps an older motherboard for flashing the BIOS?

Comment

Working...
        X