Gateway FPD2185W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD2185W

Well wishful thinking did not prevail here. The re-cap was not successful. The monitor is still doing the two seconds to black routine. I took apart the panel and found some of the ccfls with the LV wires nearly burned off and black bands at the ends of the ccfl tubes. So I guess I am looking at a total lamp replacement on this one. Wrog, do you remember what the out the door price was for the lamps and all assorted wiring/end caps? I found the lamp you mentioned on ebay from ccfl warehouse. Did you order the end caps/wiring seperately? Or did they allow you to do it all in one order/shipment? I also did not see the triple end cap on their website, only a single.

Comment

I ordered them all together. What I did was send them an email (sales@ccflwarehouse.com) and explain the pricing from eBay combined with some of their items from their website. For instance, $8 per CCFL (460mm x 2.6mm), white return wire ($1 per foot, but you should be able to re-use most of the original wiring), etc. They also advertise $4.99 flat rate shipping. I asked them to send me an invoice through Paypal, and they did within an hour. I actually didn't ask for the triple end caps, they included them at no cost... One other thing that I ordered was some 1/2 inch kapton tape to hold the spliced/soldered return wires in place, I think it was like $1.75 for a 6 inch strip. Next time I'm just going to order a roll! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edit: I see you're from IL... whereabouts? My wife and I moved from Schaumburg around 6 years ago.

Comment

i got the same moniter i got 6 of the main power caps bulged and one bulged on the screen controler

any help would be great

Comment

Have a read over

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=92533

that will help you choose and order caps.

Originally posted by soul12.0
          i got the same moniter i got 6 of the main power caps bulged and one bulged on the screen controler

any help would be great
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by soul12.0

any help would be great
            The intelligent approach is to replace every electrolytic cap on the power supply and the 'logic card'. I recommend Panasonic FM caps from Digikey although other high quality low ESR caps also work well.

A first step would be to list the capacitance, voltage, diameter and height of every capacitor on the boards. Someone will then suggest replacements (The diameter and height are only required for those caps with limited clearance).

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

You will need the following caps for the powersupply:
              (all listed are Panasonic FC) followed by Digikey part number

8x 470uf 25v P10275-ND
              2x 220uf 25v P10271-ND
              1x 47uf 25v P10267-ND
              1x 10uf 50v P10316-ND

For the display board:

3x 470uf 16v P10247-ND

Just hope you don't have bad lamps too!

Comment

I finally cracked open the one I have on my pile. 7 of the 8 classic 470 25s were bulged and some leaking, and 1 of the 3 470 16s on the main board was bulging. Replaced 'em all, and 2 others in the inverter section.
                I have never tested it, I don't have a power cable at the moment.
                Just for fun, measured a one of the 470s, 33uf and 9 ohms esr.
                Will try to test soon.
                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Well great news for me, it works perfectly. This was the best of 7 dead monitors I picked up for free. It looks brand new, still has the stickers on the front bezel.

I finished re-assembling it today, still don't have a power cable so I 'gator clipped power to it, and it fired right up. This really is a nice monitor. Well worth the $5.00 (approx) worth of caps Would be interesting to get the total on-time out of it, anyone know if that's available in a service menu?
                  36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I finally got around to replacing the lamps in my FPD2185. Unfortunately, after painstakingly wiring up the new lamps, I am still having a two seconds to black problem. I tried re-soldering the joints around the two big and the six little transformers (also checked resistance) over to the ccfl connectors to no avail. The problem seems to be one of 'insufficient voltage' to the ccfls. Sometimes two of the lamps on a side light, sometimes only one. When it is two lit, the center one it out on both sides. And a couple times the center one came on, but only by itself. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Comment

... oops wrong post.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
                        I finally got around to replacing the lamps in my FPD2185. Unfortunately, after painstakingly wiring up the new lamps, I am still having a two seconds to black problem. I tried re-soldering the joints around the two big and the six little transformers (also checked resistance) over to the ccfl connectors to no avail. The problem seems to be one of 'insufficient voltage' to the ccfls. Sometimes two of the lamps on a side light, sometimes only one. When it is two lit, the center one it out on both sides. And a couple times the center one came on, but only by itself. Any ideas on how to proceed?
                        Did you ever test/check U301, U302, U304, U305 on the bottom side of the PCB (see post #13 in this thread). Those four drivers are notorious for failing on this model. If any one of them are bad, replace all four.

Comment

The thought crossed my mind to change them. I did a resistance check and here is what i found:

Transistor G – D D – S G – S
                          U301 (AOD405) 365k 360k 4.7k
                          U302 (AOD408) .77M 380k 347k
                          u304 (AOD405) 368k 364k 4.7k
                          u305 (AOD408) .75M 379k 346k

So I would say that they are not shorted, but could still be not working properly. And I could maybe see how this would cause lower power output to the CCFL transformers. For the cost, I might as well replace them since am in this far already. Unfortunately Digikey is showing a lead time of over a month to get the AOD417 (AOD405 replacement) back in stock

Anyone else have any ideas? PlainBill?

Comment

The thought crossed my mind to change them. I did a resistance check and here is what i found:

So I would say that they are not shorted, but could still be not working properly. And I could maybe see how this would cause lower power output to the CCFL transformers. For the cost, I might as well replace them since am in this far already. Unfortunately Digikey is showing a lead time of over a month to get the AOD417 (AOD405 replacement) back in stock

This is likely to be a painful process. There are several different monitors which use small and large transformers in the inverter. I have only a vague idea of how this SHOULD work.

Let's start at the controller and see if we can isolate the cause of the problem. What is the part number of U303, the inverter controller? I seem to remember that locating a datasheet was a sticking point on another one of these designs.

Also, if ANYONE has come across a schematic or service manual for this monitor, I would appreciate knowing about it. Even a service manual or schematic for any monitor using the small transformers would help me.

PlainBill
                            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Also what should the resistance on the transformers be?

On the big ones I get ~.6 ohm across the primaries and ~154 ohms across the secondaries. Could this be a short on the primary side? There is not much between the transistors and the primary windings, just a couple smd capacitors (c314, c315, and c317) and those don't show a short across them.

The small transformers all show ~0.6ohm on the primary and ~220ohms on the secondary.

My next move might be to take a set of lamps out of another panel and solder the leads for them directly to the board. Then see if I still get 2 seconds to black.

Comment

The U303 controller chip is a BIT3193G. Curt Palme mentioned ordering some in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10364

No word on success or failure though (I asked!).

Comment

Definitely not shorted. You could always go the eBay route for a little bit extra ($10 shipped; Digikey would be around $5 shipped).

Edit: I may have some extras here, let me look around.

Comment

The U303 controller chip is a BIT3193G. Curt Palme mentioned ordering some in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10364

No word on success or failure though (I asked!).
                                    It's unlikely that replacing the controller would solve the problem. I'm trying to approach it from the other direction - determine why it's shutting down. Already I'm running into a problem. I've found only two pictures of the bottom of the board. The one at the beginning of this thread is the best. And even on that one I can't be certain where pin 1 is. Is it at the upper left-hand corner of the IC in that picture?

PlainBill

Comment

Yes pin 1 of the controller chip is shown on the top left in the picture in the first post of this thread.

Comment

Well I tried it, I soldered a set of ccfls from another panel directly onto the board. The results were the same. Only one lamp would light at a time, and not necessarily the same one each time. The other side (the ones with the plugs) will sometimes light up two at a time. I would have done both sets of lamps from the donor panel, but alas I broke the lamps on the second set getting them out. So now I am pretty sure nothing is wrong with the new lamps. There just does not seem to be enough oomph to start them all at once. Would increasing the capacitance on the two caps in between the transistors help? They are only at 220uf each.

You can't see much from the picture, but I will post it anyway.

Attached Files

Comment

Yes pin 1 of the controller chip is shown on the top left in the picture in the first post of this thread.
                                          Thanks. You have a PM.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                          X