Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What equivalent series resistance (ESR) capacitor should I replace bad one with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What equivalent series resistance (ESR) capacitor should I replace bad one with?

I've got a bad clock capacitor in my original xbox that I'm trying to replace. It's a 1F 2.5V cap however, I'm not sure what Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) the new cap should be. I see they sell 1 Ohm, 90 mOhm, 70 mOhm, and 500 mOhm on digikey. Any suggestions? Also how do you feel about the brands Eaton, Taiyo Yuden, or ELNA? Thanks!

Re: What equivalent series resistance (ESR) capacitor should I replace bad one with?

That's a super capacitor which is used like a battery. The ESR won't matter much, but i'd personally try to use one with less than 200 mOhm.
    You can also use capacitor rated for slightly higher voltage (let's say 2.7v)

You can also use slightly higher capacitance (if there is room) but don't overdo it. You can also use less capacitance, it just means the clock and potentially settings will be kept alive for less time when you remove the xbox completely from mains.

something like this would do: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...198-ND/3878078

Comment

Re: What equivalent series resistance (ESR) capacitor should I replace bad one with?

AFAIK you can also leave the capacitor out.
      It's only for the clock and the box can get that via Internet time server anyway.

EDIT: Some more details: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48951
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-27-2017, 02:00 AM.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

if it's NOT a 1.6 series then you can leave it out.
        if it's a 1.6 then you need some capacitance or the system wont turn on.
        i have tried 220uf and it worked fine.

Comment

Working...
        X