MSI MS-6340 Rev 1 - epic capacitor failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MS-6340 Rev 1 - epic capacitor failure

I recently picked up a bunch of computer parts, and computers (sadly I didn't have enough space and two of the machines there may well have since been scrapped... ) and in this motherboard, I found perhaps one of the worst sets of capacitors I've ever seen! I've stripped down the power supply and could see no obvious issues inside it, and it definitely powered on the machine, but having no other methods of testing it, I cannot determine if it is truly good or not.

Unfortunately I can neither justify the expense of recapping the board, nor replacing it, so it'll be scrapped and I'll use the case. A couple of questions though:

1: I've read some places saying that the MS-6340 used Pentium III CPUs, and some that have said it's a Socket A board. Were there two different socket versions of it? I don't know what mine is for sure, as it wouldn't get close to POSTing, let alone display anything on the screen on the standalone GPU (it doesn't have onboard VGA as far as I can see)

2: How do I remove the heatsink from a Socket A system? I can't figure out how to and the levering/prodding I've tried so far has had no effect.

3: It was fitted in an Evesham micro-tower case - is this motherboard original to Evesham? And if it is, what model could this be, as I cannot find a model on the case? (it has a Millenium Edition sticker on, if that helps)

4: If you know the answer to 3:, is a FSP Group Inc FSP250-61GN(A) an original power supply for that machine? And is it actually any good, or is it a dodgy unit?
    Attached Files

Re: MSI MS-6340 Rev 1 - epic capacitor failure

1) the MSI MS-6340 is an early generation Socket A motherboard (AMD Athlon/Duron .. not Athlon XP).
    Manual is here:

2) on the top side (where the 2 puking caps are) there should be a slot in the spring thingie to insert a flathead screwdriver. Push down on it and lever it (the screwdriver handle) towards the middle of the heatsink, so it unhooks from the pin(s) on the socket. You can lift it up and out of the way then.

3) they probably used off the shelf components (i.e. MSI board you could buy anywhere back in the day) to build the system.

4) No idea if it's original. Fortron Source (FSP) powersupplies are generally OK, as long as the caps are good. Some of those PSUs cooked them to death, some used a mix of mediocre and crappy caps (Teapo and Jamicon respectively)

edit: old video on how to remove the heatsink (and other related stuff)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfhb8pdwMYI
    Last edited by Scenic; 02-20-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks! The caps did look good when I took it apart, so it'll probably be worth keeping as a spare in case I come across another pre-P4 machine. I'll work on the heatsink some time soon.

Comment

The caps in the pic you attached are all junk except the Nichicon HD (the sillver cans with the printing on top)

typical for MSI at the time.. less than 5 good caps, rest off-brand crap.

edit: oh wait nevermind .. thought you were talking about the board .. not the PSU lol

If it has a 4pin P4 plug (yellow/black wires), it'll probably work for a low end P4 or Athlon XP machine.. Anything newer or beefier would probably overtax that grandpa of a PSU
        Last edited by Scenic; 02-20-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

It doesn't have a ATX12V connector, otherwise I'd have already tested it And it doesn't really surprise me that the caps are junk, they're the first bad caps on something I have owned, however.

Comment

MSI that vintage are usually pretty shoddy IME - bulging capacitors most likely GSC or CHSSI

Argument in favour of fixing is non-ROHS construction, meaning capacitor removal & replacement relatively easy compared to ROHS

All MS-6340 are SocketA judging by http://www.msi.com/service/search/?k...0&type=product - I found it necessary to select Detail Specification, because Basic Specification came up all N/A on some of them
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

The caps around the CPU socket are Lelon 6.3V 4700uf 105 degrees units. The smaller green units are Tayeh 6.3V 1000uf 105 degrees, the largest black cap is a Tayeh 6.3V 2700uf 105 degrees, and the smallest black caps are also Tayehs. Those all seem like crappy brands to me, the metal cans being the aforementioned Nichicons are the only decent things on it.

Strangely, there seem to be abnormally small screws connecting it to the baseplate of the case, which I can't seem to fit any screwdrivers in to (see the picture, an example is behind the two top big green caps), any ideas?

And the processor turned out to be a 850MHz Athlon.

Comment

I still have a working MSI 6330 (also known as K7T Pro). I kept it because it has a four LED array in the back which blinks out the post code as it boots. Mine has three sockets for memory sticks for 1.5 gig total. I don't remember what speed cpu it has, but it still runs fine. As I recall, I did have to replace some bad caps. But I think it is a unique board having the post tester on it.
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Well, the MS-6340 is much more of a budget model. It has 2 memory sockets (meaning I could run 1 GB with the two 512 MB PC133 sticks I have), and no POST LEDs on the back. The unit had clearly been stood for some time - two dead spiders were inside, along with several cobwebs. With 3 machines as it is, plus a fully-functional motherboard sat in a box, I can't justify recapping this board - as pretty much all the caps are junk brands, even if they aren't yet bulging.

Comment

You could always recap and sell the extra ones
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Just got a K7T Pro2 which is a variant of the MSI 6330. I notice that it has a handful of capacitors (two of which are bulging) with brand name Chhsi. Anyone have any idea who makes them? The rest of the capacitors are KZE, no other brand marking. Looks like I will have to do some recapping. This mobo has the post LED array in the back of the board so I think it will be worth saving. I found a 1 gig Thunderbird processor for it, but so far no heat sink/fan.
                      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Chhsi are made by Chhsi - but I think the company has gone now.

I have the datasheets up here and you can find the rest of the site on the web archive.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                        X