GF 6200 AGP Ghetto heat sink/capacitor mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GF 6200 AGP Ghetto heat sink/capacitor mod

1 GF6200 card with a failed fan + a passive heat sink which almost fits + some tape = a ghetto mod

I mounted the capacitor on the otherside of the PCB and used duct tape to make sure the legs didn't short on the heat sink.
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: GF 6200 AGP Ghetto heat sink/capacitor mod

How did you solder the cap on the other side? Were the solder pads on both sides of the PCB?

Comment

haha.. did something similar on a Radeon X1300XT.
      The original tiny fan died and I had no other fan with the same weird mounting pattern, so I tried mounting a big passive heatsink from a dead Geforce 8500GT..

Trouble was: 4 caps, a coil and a quartz in the way.
      Solution: soldered the caps, coil and the quartz (all through-hole) onto the backside of the card

Totally ghetto, but hey.. if it works

Comment

Originally posted by Rulycat View Post
        How did you solder the cap on the other side? Were the solder pads on both sides of the PCB?
        Yup. It had solder pads on both sides

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yeah, those AGP cards always had something awkward. I remember having... I think a TNT2 AGP which was fanless, which was retarded because the card got pretty hot. I just tied a fan over the heatsink by wrapping wire (with it's jacket, of course) around the card cuz I was in a pinch and needed to get back to sniping in Delta Force 2 or something. Helped me get better FPS, too!
          Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Haha cool ghetto mod .

I have done a GeFroce 7600GS along with several Radeon 9700 video cards now with custom ghetto heat sinks like that. Except I had to cut the heat sinks myself as well. One of those Radeon 9700's will go in my ghetto Dell GX270 computer. I'll take pictures and post that when I have time one of these days. Be prepared to fall off your chairs .

Comment

Here's another one. An FX5500 this time. The heat sink is an Intel 1155 stock cooler with a few fins cut off, instead of putting the caps on the back.

PS. Don't worry about the KZGs. I'm gonna recap it before it goes into service.
              Attached Files

Comment

That, sir, is first class ghetto-modding .

The heatsink guild wholeheartedly supports the idea of moving the caps to the backside.
                Attached Files

Comment

Perfect, looks like and S939 or AM2 heat sink on Socket A.

I've had a couple of those 60mm fans on the Socket A stock coolers fail before. Sometimes, if I don't have a spare 60mm fan on hand, I bend the fins outwards and screw an 80mm fan into them.

Comment

It's a socket A/462 heatsink ontop a K6-2 in a Super-7 board (another of my dinosaurs). The fan is 70x70 form factor, 65mm ⌀ propeller, standard Phenom II heatsink fan. As the SS7 socket is closely surrounded by caps the heatsink had to underwent heavy surgery.

All this is way overkill for a ~20W TDP K6-2, but better sure than sorry with cooling.

Seeing that I am amongst uninhibited people, I overcome my shame and proceed to torture your eyes with my GF6200 mods :

Euro 10, 20 & 50 cent coins make superb heatsink stuff, as they are made of nordic gold (89% Cu, 5% Al).

Credit where it is due, I got the idea from here.

Comment

Nice one TELVM! I've been thinking about trying a similar thing with some Xbox 360 CPU heat sinks and a few of my Pentium II and Pentium 3 computers. I have a friend that has a whole box of them that he says doesn't need.

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                      All this is way overkill for a ~20W TDP K6-2, but better sure than sorry with cooling.
                      Yeah, you could probably run the CPU without any fans and it will still remain within a reasonable temperature range. I would.
                      And then maybe add another one to that Daytona Trio3D video card

Euro 10, 20 & 50 cent coins make superb heatsink stuff, as they are made of nordic gold (89% Cu, 5% Al).
                      Interesting.
                      For some reason, though, every time I see/hear of someone gluing coins to the memory chips or other components of their favorite hardware, it just makes me sick... most likely because I have seen a lot of Xbox 360 penny fixes - and all of them soo ghetto that I wanted to puke.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        ... And then maybe add another one to that Daytona Trio3D video card

Some more coinage creativity :

Comment

^ A few of these are not too bad, but the one with the coins taped to the heat sink is pure crap and they will hardly do anything useful.

And if the coin is not lapped well, it's useless as a heat sink. Another important factor is the composition of the coin. The US pennies made after 1982, for example, are composed of 97.5% Zinc and 2.5% Copper (Copper-plated Zinc). Zinc has roughly half the conductivity of Aluminum, so those penny "fixes" are not such a great idea after all.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            ... the one with the coins taped to the heat sink is pure crap and they will hardly do anything useful.
                            But you can fry eggs on it!

Comment

^^^ He's got a point......

Comment

LOL, i remember doing the coin mod for a friends DV9000, got the temps down from ~100C to 70C.
                                I can put text here?!

Comment

Very nice mods guys What do you use to merge the coin with the heatsink?

Comment

But you can fry eggs on it!

Originally posted by Pentium4
                                    Very nice mods guys What do you use to merge the coin with the heatsink?
                                    I would guess just plain thermal compound. At least that's what I've seen people do.

By the way, I have a real ghetto chipset heat sink coming soon, but I think I'll post that in the ghetto mods thread (when I finish it, that is).
                                    Last edited by momaka; 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X