soyo display with an odd problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soyo display with an odd problem.

this isnt so much a looking for help post as a repair log to maybe help other people with this display who are having problems.

this is a soyo display that was flickering and had a shaky image when music was played through the onboard audio, it was tested and was a very obvious problem which even caused the display to shut down when i played "Sub Antix & Elliot Mars - Defend Earth" through the onboard audio.

diagnosis: failed filter caps on the PSU all 4 made by "hermei" and a bad ground between the two boards.
    one of the filter caps got so hot it discoloured from purple to brown ( no not the one on bottom left, the one in the centre), they were replaced with rubycon caps.
    the main PFC cap was also failing, this cap was made by fuhjyyu ( i think its pronounced "fuck you") and was replaced with a capXon which i have never had problems with as a PFC cap; although this cap is an extra 20uF it seems to work fine.

the bad ground was caused by a bad solder joint at the pin header.
    i screwed up and put 2 caps in backwards.
    as a warning: these dont have a bleeder resistor across the PFC cap.
    everybody has that time where "huh? why wont it work? OH SHIT smoke!" then you try to fix it and end up fucking the traces on the board.......

ok so, this has fixed multiple issues actually, the sound is OK now (it doesn't sound like shit when the bass hits), the screen looks back in focus now, the screen doesn't have a yellow tinge, the tearing is gone, its brighter, and my desk is clean
    Attached Files
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.
Working...
X