Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP iQ790 touch screen conversion

Hey all.

Basically I have an M190A1 touch panel from a defunct HP iQ790. A few years back I had a HP W1907v, and used the touch panel and its controller board to convert the W1907v into a touch screen.

The panel has two cameras, one at the top left and one at the top right, each with their own lead running to the controller board via zif connector. If memory serves, each lead has about 7 connections running from it.

All went well when I got it back together, was very pleased with the result. Until I found out the top inch or so of the touch screen doesn't respond to touch properly. The touch overlay is a Nextwindow 1950 panel.

It acts as if one of the cameras stops working intermittently - the touch responds but rapidly jumps around from one side to the other, and even when it doesn't, it's very very shakey.

So I pulled it apart again, and found one of the leads appears to be slightly damaged. One of the gold pins is missing its tip, but not all the way along, most of it is still there.

I'm pretty sure it's still making contact, but I cannot think of any other explanation as to why this is happening. Has anyone had any experience with one of these touch panels? What would be the easiest way to repair the damage on this zif connection?

I'll get some pictures up later, only pic I can find right now is this one, of the controller board: http://i.imgur.com/gr32ohul.jpg (One of the zif fasteners is missing I know, it was found and later reattached to the connector)

Cheers!
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 01-02-2014, 10:50 AM.
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Re: HP iQ790 touch screen conversion

Update, dug this thing out of the garage. I tried wiggling the cable out slowly on the other side and the same shaky thing happened at the bottom of the screen. So it does appear to be a problem with the cable.

Pic of the offending connection: http://i.imgur.com/IWtf8w9.jpg

I'm guessing I need to solder a jump lead from the cable side directly onto the pins of the connector? Is it safe to do this without damaging the zif cable? I'm going to need to be dead careful of that CCFL too.

Gonna find a multimeter now and check the continuity between the two sides.

It's a shame, because the rest of the screen works perfectly.

[EDIT] Uh oh, multimeter test between pins on cable and pins on connector tests okay. Fault is somewhere further along cable then? It feels very weak...

[EDIT2] The fault was one of the cameras. I lifted it up to look at it at the cable snapped off it was that weak. Looks like I'm SOL. :/
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 01-02-2014, 12:16 PM.
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Working...
    X