sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Let the flames begin

^ Agreed 100%

Comment

I'm sure it is but its NEW TO ME!

someone, throw a chair for godsakes. but not the one i'm sitting and eating popcorn on. You can't have that one.
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Well I can't really say anything bad about any of them, since I have used all three and I know their advantages and disadvantages.

If Linux was able to play games, as in the newer ones, then I would use it in a heartbeat. I like the concept and there are a few really supported Distros.

Windows is obviously the one I use a lot. The main reason that I use Windows is because of the compatibility that it has with a lot of software.

Mac OS is interesting, but I would prefer to use Windows or Linux.

Sorry, I don't throw chairs.

Comment

Each of the 3 have there advantages and uses compairing them for the best one for everything is pointless. You wouldn't compair a corvette a suv and a honda insight and say one is better than the other over all unless your a moron.

Comment

wait a minute are you saying the facebook group that I saw this posted at and the flames that followed means everyone of those people are morons

oh wait, heh, you're right

Comment

this was my final post on the subject. There were tons of fanboys from all sides. Probably one of the longest posts in the history of the group...

dylan, me saying my opinion matters more was a joke. However, my experience does give me a unique perspective, I mostly put that in the *first* paragraph to get people attention to read the rest. People here need to understand we're dealing with two factors: hardware and software. As far as people saying windows is unstable, in the past, alot of that has been related to software issues. As someone who actually worked in a public computer shop for like the past 4 years let me say hardware, was the reason to blame for I'd say 40% of our customers problems.

The argument made in the picture you see here is a little problematic. Cause, you can put windows vs linux, as software vs software. But mac has something else going against it...to put in in better perspective, the picture is like (hardware + software) vs software vs software. You can put windows on...many different pieces of hardware out there. Some of that hardware is absolute shit, windows has crashing problem, maybe the hardware is to blame, so you must account for the unidentified hardware in this instance, saying that windows crashes just because windows 'sucks' is like saying i'm an asshole driver because my car stalls in the middle of the road. I can't help it, its not my fault x suddenly broke. In a way, this is somewhat of an advantage mac actually has, is they choose hardware, and quality of the hardware their software is going on. Of course you're going to get better stability (heh usually) from a company that makes the hardware AND the software. But because this company in question has a stick up its ass about allowing other companies to make compatible hardware for it, they actually do more harm to their rep because of this.. Cause, how does microsoft make most of its money? from average joe? NO. From BUSINESSES. Why? Businesses want hardware they can find cheap, well built, and can be maintained with the LEAST amount of effort and time (time IS money) possible. This is where mac fails, and why windows-based computing is the majority of computing world.

Now, more specifically, when we make the proper argument here, factoring our hardware we end up with: Windows vs linux vs _OSX_, we run into a different answers. OSX does gain more ground. First let me say OSX is built off a linux kernel (at least the post-powerPC architecture versions are). Let me make these points:

Security: There are fewer viruses written for OSX and linux because it is the minority. If mac-based PC's were the majority of computing today, I guarantee you this would be a different story. On the windows side however we run into something else when it comes to viruses. Most of the viruses people get _now a days_ usually stem from non-windows software, well, not all the time. Viruses come in now a days cause of the following, listed in order from most vulnerable to least: Internet Explorer, Java, Flash, Acrobat, Office documents (malformed docs and vB hacks), unpatched windows flaws, other many pieces of software that have vulnerabilities in them that allow buffer overflows and all kinds of mayhem to run. However a lot of virus problems are just from general dumbassery, Untrusted P2P/torrent, download me i'll 'fix registry errors' websites. Windows is actually more vulnerable in this way, because you run an untrusted program run on your computer (actually click 'OK run me') by the user. Education helps in this area, but not always. Linux is most difficult to get viruses cause it is the minority of all home desktops. And executing programs isn't always as easy as double clicking as it is with windows or mac (depending on your version/distro of linux). This is why I like linux for servers. Windows is getting better at this, but its a hard fight, cause there is soooo many avenues of attack.

Stability: Windows is not perfect, and because WIDE DIVERSITY of hardware that can run it, sometimes this creates unforeseen problems, especially when it comes to drivers, and windows updates that stand a chance of having issues with 3rd party drivers and software Microsoft usually doesn't have control over. OSX runs on hardware usually uniform and 'certified' by MAC, this has advantages (uniformity and certification allows for more control and stability)...but also increases price, sometimes DRAMATICALLY. This increases stability, as well as other related factors. Linux usually fairs better, but not always, cause its still on alll kiinds of different hardware just like windows.

Performance: This is where windows shines, and also fails, at the same time. You get what you pay for. If you pay for a emachines for $399, don't expect it to run circles around something that costs as much as a mac does. But that said, with some cheap upgrades, you can actually get it to run just as fast. however sometimes, without experience, those upgrades can be tedious, or not properly executed. Better let the techs and geeky neighbor kids (eeeh we're going to try for 15 years and older, don't let anyone under this age f' around with the insides of your computer) handle these. And we also run into this generational issue with performance too. Vista had tons of performance issues not only cause it did have a larger memory footprint than its later iteration, window 7, but also because at the time, IBM-compatible hardware to run it decently was too expensive. This resulted in some atrocious cheap vista machines that ran like shit. Oh also vista in general is a piece of shit too. Can't get around that. moving on. Windows 7 came out when better performing hardware was available cheaper in general. XP had this issue when it first came out and people were upgrading their windows 98/ME machines to xp, finding out their hardware was barely up to snuff and resulted in some poor performing systems, service pack 3, the final xp service pack not only increased stability and added some necessary stuff, but did NOT help this, but by this time, most of the computers running xp had some form of newer hardware. But not all. I've seen this first hand in the shop.

Maintenance: Windows shines in this area because its built around the idea something might go wrong, and ease to reinstall. These features don't always work though. Added to cheaper hardware, price and variety, this is why most businesses use windows based computing. I don't know about OSX, I just can't rule in and can't pretend like I know the answer here. Linux, can be a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS to maintain, but when you have the knowledge too, you can keep shit running for YEARS.

Ease of Use: What is there to say here? OSX is pretty damn easy to use, XP, not as much, Win 7, better than xp (for most people anyways). Linux, depends on distro and interface. Obviously if we're talking about the server version of ubuntu, that is base command line, it scores poor in this area. desktop ubuntu is pretty damn easy, but, I still occasionally run into a config file I have to edit here and there. Not for regular people, but cool for us techs, enthusiasts. and geeky types, sure why the hell not.

Comment

hahhaa. say what you want about the hardware and software, you can't get around the price!

Attached Files

Comment

I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I wonder if they ever wanted to make an optical drive that used coins instead of paper clips for emergency ejection. Perhaps a power button requiring a quarter to activate .
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        Perhaps a power button requiring a quarter to activate .
                        A coin-operated computer?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                          A coin-operated computer?
                          Microsoft would also do this if they had their way about it.....they were seriously considering a subscription-based OS just prior to the development of win7. Wouldn't that be lovely...you pay your monthly microsoft bill (like you would your phone bill and electric bill) or your PC stops working.... That would be the last MS product I'd ever use....I think they realized how asinine that would be and scrubbed the project....

As for that pic by the OP, that is very old, but I get a chuckle out of it everytime I see it because its 100% truth.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

nother one. might of been done before but I don't care
                            Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                Microsoft would also do this if they had their way about it.....they were seriously considering a subscription-based OS just prior to the development of win7. Wouldn't that be lovely...you pay your monthly microsoft bill (like you would your phone bill and electric bill) or your PC stops working.... That would be the last MS product I'd ever use....I think they realized how asinine that would be and scrubbed the project....
                                I forgot about that.

Comment

LOL My favorite was the one where Steve Jobs (R.I.P) was holding cash in place of an iPhone.

Comment

aaannnd heres another one!

Attached Files

Comment

But Macs don't have an ON-OFF switch!

Here's another one for ya:
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JdC04vBik

Comment

My linux car never needs an oil filter
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X