Powerbooks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Powerbooks...

I like working on those white MacBooks it's easy! Now I just have to get a power board for one and a power adapter and a battery and I'll have yet another functional one. Hey, anybody wanna sell the little power jack board? And a power adapter? And maybe a battery? lol

Comment

I am on a MacBook Pro and I am very happy with it. Have been familiar with the whole MB lineup ever since and the latest, late 2011 ones are really nice.

Though the just announced retina display capable option just makes the ball game a lot more interesting. They may be base models but are on a totally different league on their own. You just have to be more familiar and versed with how you see them to be fit.

Comment

I have a question in regards to this Macbook I got. Basically the last owner ripped the bluetooth connector off the motherboard while changing the LCD, but the solder pads and the ripped off connector are still there. I bought a 1/64 soldering tip which is as fine as a needle and also 0.3mm solder wire.

What I want to know is:

* Since the two clips on the side of the connector which hold the connector to the motherboard (to help the 4 small solder prongs as well) are broken, is it better to use RTV (silastic) or hot glue to hold it to the motherboard?

* What do I coat with solder first? The motherboard solder pads or the prongs on the connector? In other words, how do you solder this to the motherboard properly since it's an SMT component.

* What is the best way to hold this connector in place while soldering since it's a little shit.

Thanks.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by stevo1210; 06-23-2012, 09:29 AM.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

A hot air gun with a tiny nozzle would be the best choice for this, and you'll need some solder paste. Remove the socket from the plug, apply solder paste to the 4 pads, and place the socket in its position. Then apply heat with the hot air gun until the paste melts and holds it in place.

Normally there should be a metal strap that goes around the top of the connector and is soldered to pads on both sides. You can make one out of suitably small stiff wire, like from a paperclip, and solder that in place.

Comment

I don't have a heat gun and knowing me i'd probably melt something else with it. Still, can I say hold the connector down with some tape then finely solder the leads?
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X