Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Black 22inch model number X223Wbd

Here we go,
    Ive tried reading and done some trouble shooting already but, this unit powers up for three seconds then flickers to black. I also heard a hissing sound coming from one of the inverters, upon further inspection the molex plugs are melting when powered up(see photo's).
    I've not checked any power feeds yet as I don't wanna power it up till the inverter problem is fixed. But it does have power to the control button board(blue lights), I do get a display for a few seconds at first then blank.

Things I have done:
    I tried only hooking up one set of inverter plugs at a time to see if it was one bad one, same result from both.
    The small caps on the main power board looked bulged on top(see photo) I replaced them with the exact same caps, when I replaced them it seemed as if someone else had already soldered new ones in place? The old ones are in these photo's and circled in red ink. There are five medium sized caps circled in white ink, I replaced them already not sure if I used the right type(low ESR caps). The caps circled in Yellow seemed OK they are ELITE caps.

Pretty much this is where I stand at present, when it does first power up it has a full display and shows the Acer sign then blank. Before I replaced the caps, it would only power on for like one second then blank. I noticed when I got the display one of the corners of the casing seemed white-ish. As if something may have struck it, or maybe dropped on its corner as normally its black.
    Attached Files
    X99 5930K
    X99-gaming 9
    EVGA 1080 Vanilla
    Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
    SSD'S
    Corsair AX1200

Re: Acer Black 22inch model number X223Wbd

Executive summary - probable broken CCFL.

Explanation: The inverter is a constant current, high voltage, high frequency AC source with over current and over voltage protection. Ordinarily the over voltage protection will shut down the inverter if a CCFL (or a wire to a CCFL) breaks, but in this case an arc at the connectors occurred first. Usually I'd figure a broken wire, but the evidence of a bump leads to suspecting the CCFLs themselves.

Recommendation: This has all the elements of a 'trap' project. If you have a LOT of self control, put it back together and sell it as 'For parts or repair'.

The CCFLs and the bad connectors will have to be replaced. If the CCFLs are in 'slide out' holders, it's not too bad, but still figure about $15 per CCFL when you add in the male and female connectors and shipping. Even if only one CCFL is broken, you should replace both. And then there will be a brightness gradient from bottom to top because two CCFLs will be newer. Of course, if you have a shelf full of salvageable parts, it could cost less.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hello Bill!
      I don't mind putting a little bit into it, the casing isn't that bad I just happen to be a nit picker and noticed it (I'll get a photo of it when I can). The female connectors on the one inverter seem OK just the male leads from the screen or CCFL is badly scorched right through the molex plug. BUT I've never taken one apart, being that I come from a computer build back ground I have two cold cathodes sitting around (from my first case project they have a green cover over them I'm just not sure of the size difference).
      I took the edge cover off the display, I assume the CCFL slide out from the side that the harness is going into? Give me a couple days, I'll take my time and try to open it. Are there any pointers or advise for a first timer as myself? I'm 47, and I still love to learn!!!! My problem is when I was A kid Learning wasn't important as it is now...................

Total invested so far $40.00 with shipping, plus the few caps I put into it bout $5.00. Here is a picture of the CCFL I had sitting around they seem shorter than the display by like five inches.
      Thank you! Coffee time I just woke up..............
      Attached Files
      X99 5930K
      X99-gaming 9
      EVGA 1080 Vanilla
      Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
      SSD'S
      Corsair AX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Philly Cheese Steak View Post
        Hello Bill!
        I don't mind putting a little bit into it, the casing isn't that bad I just happen to be a nit picker and noticed it (I'll get a photo of it when I can). The female connectors on the one inverter seem OK just the male leads from the screen or CCFL is badly scorched right through the molex plug. BUT I've never taken one apart, being that I come from a computer build back ground I have two cold cathodes sitting around (from my first case project they have a green cover over them I'm just not sure of the size difference).
        I took the edge cover off the display, I assume the CCFL slide out from the side that the harness is going into? Give me a couple days, I'll take my time and try to open it. Are there any pointers or advise for a first timer as myself? I'm 47, and I still love to learn!!!! My problem is when I was A kid Learning wasn't important as it is now...................

Total invested so far $40.00 with shipping, plus the few caps I put into it bout $5.00. Here is a picture of the CCFL I had sitting around they seem shorter than the display by like five inches.
        Thank you! Coffee time I just woke up..............
        There are several different designs used for LCD panels. The ones I've dealt with require disassembling the entire panel piece by piece, but others have mentioned that on some panels the CCFLs and their holder can be slid out after removing a screw. A shot of the edge of the panel that the CCFL leads run into would tell me more.

If you have the 'snap together' type, it's a pain, but I've found guitar picks make pretty good wedges.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The last Acer that I took apart (Acer X223w) looked very similar to the photo in post #3. The panel came apart as Bill said - piece by piece. The metal backing actually comes off in two separate pieces that are held together with the metal tape that is below the lower green lamp in the photo above. If you are going to take it apart, make sure to have plenty of room so you can take it apart and lay it down in the correct order and orientation. Also be careful about where the parts are placed as static electricity can cause dirt, dust, hairs, etc. to stick to the panel layers and then they will show up in the image on the screen (yes, I speak from experience, I had to take this panel apart a second time to remove one of my daughter's hairs from between the panel layers).

Comment

Cool guys!
            Give me a day or two ill post the photo up so you can see it, again Thank you!
            X99 5930K
            X99-gaming 9
            EVGA 1080 Vanilla
            Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
            SSD'S
            Corsair AX1200

Comment

Cool guys!
              Give me a day or two ill post the photo up so you can see it, again Thank you!
              X99 5930K
              X99-gaming 9
              EVGA 1080 Vanilla
              Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
              SSD'S
              Corsair AX1200

Comment

UGH!
                I was posting from my phone at work

OK almost ready to operate, waiting to move a TV off of a big table we have so It can sit there undisturbed for a few days, here's a few update pictures sorry Bill I didn't realize you wanted the side of it. But it has a large metal band around the whole display, you may be able to see it from one of these photos.
                Attached Files
                X99 5930K
                X99-gaming 9
                EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                SSD'S
                Corsair AX1200

Comment

So you were right Bill here is the suspect in few............ So my question is what part there is like a million CCFL'S at Digikey, how do I know witch one. There menu is very hard to use, also couldn't I use the good side of this blown CCFL for the molex plug? THANKS GUYS!!!!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Philly Cheese Steak; 09-01-2011, 12:56 PM. Reason: add photo
                  X99 5930K
                  X99-gaming 9
                  EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                  Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                  SSD'S
                  Corsair AX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Philly Cheese Steak View Post
                    So you were right Bill here is the suspect in few............ So my question is what part there is like a million CCFL'S at Digikey, how do I know witch one. There menu is very hard to use, also couldn't I use the good side of this blown CCFL for the molex plug? THANKS GUYS!!!!
                    Don't order CCFLs from DigiKey. They aren't geared to small quantities. CCFL Warehouse has what you need. Measure the length and diameter (in mm) and look over their offerings. eBay is another possible source.

PlainBill

Comment

When you order CCFLs it's cheeper to just buy the CCFLs without wiring.
                      This is the pigtail you will need
                      http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/2pinjstwiha.html
                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                        Don't order CCFLs from DigiKey. They aren't geared to small quantities. CCFL Warehouse has what you need. Measure the length and diameter (in mm) and look over their offerings. eBay is another possible source.

PlainBill
                        Thank you both,
                        Yes Alex the wires on these ones are long and they wrap around the whole bottom/top of the display. Thank you both, I'll dig and see If I can get what I need. One other question is, the CCFL that is in the last picture is a double thin kinda "rail" type tube is there a name or number for this kind? As it has doul tubes in the light and there super small tubes.
                        Thanks guys for all the help!!!!
                        X99 5930K
                        X99-gaming 9
                        EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                        Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                        SSD'S
                        Corsair AX1200

Comment

If i understand your question,
                          The rail is the CCFL channel and you will reuse this.And in case you didn't know you will be doing some soldering.
                          The important measurements are going to be the length,and diameter of the CCFL.
                          You need to be careful and not tear the silicone end caps.
                          ccflwarehouse has an 800 number and they welcome phone orders,If you give them your panel number they should be able to get you the correct parts.
                          I would also ask if they think there may be any thing else you need to finish the job,There has never been any any pressure when I have talked to them just helpful advise.
                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                            If i understand your question,
                            The rail is the CCFL channel and you will reuse this.And in case you didn't know you will be doing some soldering.
                            The important measurements are going to be the length,and diameter of the CCFL.
                            You need to be careful and not tear the silicone end caps.
                            ccflwarehouse has an 800 number and they welcome phone orders,If you give them your panel number they should be able to get you the correct parts.
                            I would also ask if they think there may be any thing else you need to finish the job,There has never been any any pressure when I have talked to them just helpful advise.

Thank you Alexanna!
                            I have contacted him, found him on Ebay
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250590460827
                            X99 5930K
                            X99-gaming 9
                            EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                            Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                            SSD'S
                            Corsair AX1200

Comment

Sorry hadn't posted back in a while!
                              WOO had the display open and sitting around for a few months,
                              But she went back together fairly good. I have a couple issue's though, I have one dead pixel(or what appears to be a dead pixel) right in the middle of the monitor. Also I have a black shadow spot in the top left corner of the display witch is about half the size of a thumb nail.

#1 Are dead pixel not repairable? Or is there something I could try to do for it? Atleast make it less noticeable.....
                              #2 Could not seating the covers under the screen correctly, cause the black spot? As all the CCFL'S seem to be working good.

I will try to post some detailed photo's asap. Been very busy, I also have another one of these same monitors for repair with a smashed screen I'll try to make some good detailed photos of the new one for future members an such.

Thank you all for your input!!!!
                              Last edited by Philly Cheese Steak; 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling correction
                              X99 5930K
                              X99-gaming 9
                              EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                              Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                              SSD'S
                              Corsair AX1200

Comment

Working...
                              X