Gateway fpd1975w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway fpd1975w

Hi PlainBill. Huge fan. All the caps on the inverter were Su'scon caps. After reading an article on ESR, I must invest in an ESR meter. WoW, they are not cheap on ebay. I would like to know if recapping this board has fixed anyone else's FPD1975w monitor before this investment.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech
      Hi PlainBill. Huge fan. All the caps on the inverter were Su'scon caps. After reading an article on ESR, I must invest in an ESR meter. WoW, they are not cheap on ebay. I would like to know if recapping this board has fixed anyone else's FPD1975w monitor before this investment.
      Su'scon caps are on the list of bad caps.

eBay is an excellent source for many things. ESR meters aren't one of them. Two possible candidates are the Bob Parker Blue ESR meter from Anatek, and this little wonder. (Look at post number 63 in the thread).

PlainBill
      Last edited by PlainBill; 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM.
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Since recapping the board is tons cheaper than buying the ESR meter, for now, I'll go that route and see where it lands me. I should be able to do this today after I go to the local electronics parts store to get some off values that this board requires.
        The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Since recapping the board is tons cheaper than buying the ESR meter, for now, I'll go that route and see where it lands me. I should be able to do this today after I go to the local electronics parts store to get some off values that this board requires.
          Do make sure that you get caps rated for low ESR applications.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ok recapped board and still the same symptoms. I might look up a replacement for the processor board. Something is keeping this in a test loop. I searched the manual to try to see if there was a way to put it in this mode from normal mode - nothing found yet. Any suggestions?

Comment

Ok recapped board and still the same symptoms. I might look up a replacement for the processor board. Something is keeping this in a test loop. I searched the manual to try to see if there was a way to put it in this mode from normal mode - nothing found yet. Any suggestions?
              We're getting out into the gray area, but do a search on 'reset monitor'. I've heard of some strange things happening if the eeprom on the monitor gets corrupted, but this is beyond that. Still, if you can find the reset sequence, that might (emphasis on might) fix it.

PlainBill

Comment

Well, I did more research and found a blog where it speaks of this same failure.
                http://gatewaymonitors.blogspot.com/...?commentPage=2

The one message listed from "September 4, 2009 1:58 PM" is the same.

I think this thing is very close to working, i dont wanna give up on it just yet.

Comment

Hello All... First post here. I also have a Gateway FPD1975W that a friend of mine just gave to me because it seems to have some problems as well. With it plugged in, it will automatically try and turn on but won't stay on. It will flash the Gateway logo and go back to black over and over and over.. so I know the actual LCD screen itself works.. I have it all taken apart and I took pictures of both circuit boards inside.. I'm attaching pictures of both. I am just wondering if I need to try the capacitor replacement solution.. or what I need to do based on the pictures I've provided.

EDIT:

I tried to upload them as attachments and they were too large so I'm going to add links to them from my webpage..

Inverter Board Back
                  Inverter Board Front
                  Inverter Board Front1
                  Inverter Board Front2
                  Inverter Board Front3
                  Video Board Back
                  Video Board Front
                  Last edited by Dist; 04-22-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dist
                    Hello All... First post here. I also have a Gateway FPD1975W that a friend of mine just gave to me because it seems to have some problems as well. With it plugged in, it will automatically try and turn on but won't stay on. It will flash the Gateway logo and go back to black over and over and over.. so I know the actual LCD screen itself works.. I have it all taken apart and I took pictures of both circuit boards inside.. I'm attaching pictures of both. I am just wondering if I need to try the capacitor replacement solution.. or what I need to do based on the pictures I've provided.

EDIT:

I tried to upload them as attachments and they were too large so I'm going to add links to them from my webpage..

Inverter Board Back
                    Inverter Board Front
                    Inverter Board Front1
                    Inverter Board Front2
                    Inverter Board Front3
                    Video Board Back
                    Video Board Front
                    Start by reading this FAQ. Then use some editing software to reduce the size of the pictures. I've already had one picture Paint couldn't handle today. I don't know what was wrong with it, but I'm not taking any more chances.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks.. here they are again.

EDIT:

and the brand of the capacitors on the board are Su'scon
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Dist; 04-22-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks.. here they are again.

EDIT:

and the brand of the capacitors on the board are Su'scon
                        Su'scon are not known for their high quality. Two caps circled in red are obviously bad. The other caps circled in yellow should also be replaced because A: They are Su'scon; B: At least one of them is vital to the operation of the power supply; C: they are inexpensive and you'd rather not have to open the monitor up again in 3 months.

I STRONGLY recommend Digikey, and prefer Panasonic FM caps. If you use Digikey's first class mail option the entire order should cost under $10.

PlainBill
                        Attached Files

Comment

Alright, I've atleast got some sort of an idea on what to do now.. ok, so now that I know I need to replace the capacitors, I just need to know what capacitors to purchase.. Do I go ahead and just get the same ones(uf/v) just a different brand? I've attached the same picture but with the capacitors labeled.. Thanks again for your help and time.. I really appreciate it.

EDIT:

Yea.. I really need help on choosing capacitors because I just went to DigiKey and was looking around when I realized that I should probably wait and find out exactly what capacitors I need.. I know little to nothing about electronics circuitry.. Again.. thank you.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dist; 04-22-2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Alright, I've atleast got some sort of an idea on what to do now.. ok, so now that I know I need to replace the capacitors, I just need to know what capacitors to purchase.. Do I go ahead and just get the same ones(uf/v) just a different brand? I've attached the same picture but with the capacitors labeled.. Thanks again for your help and time.. I really appreciate it.

EDIT:

Yea.. I really need help on choosing capacitors because I just went to DigiKey and was looking around when I realized that I should probably wait and find out exactly what capacitors I need.. I know little to nothing about electronics circuitry.. Again.. thank you.
                            OK, what you have marked up will come in handy when you are replacing the caps. But most of us have better things to d with their time.

The next thing for you to do is make a list of the capacitors, showing capacity, voltage, height, and diameter. (You don't have to specify the height of all of them, just the maximum height that will fit.) Someone will then make up a list of recommended replacements.

PlainBill

Comment

Thank you PlainBill. I understand and I appreciate your time. I will continue when I get off work.. I should have another pic posted soon..

again, thank you!!!!

Comment

Thank you PlainBill. I understand and I appreciate your time. I will continue when I get off work.. I should have another pic posted soon..

again, thank you!!!!
                                No picture necessary, post a list Something like this:

Height limit 65mm

680 uF 25 Volt 10 mm diam
                                820 uF 35 Volt 16 mm diam
                                47uF.....

PlainBill

Comment

I also have a Gateway FPD1975W as well as a Samsung 931BF and a Samsung 204 BW. I scrounged these and others from a local Computer Recycle. I have disassembled all three and each one of them has bulging caps which I intend to replace. I would prefer to follow this forum's advice - Digikey and Panasonic FM caps - but I am daunted by the myriad choices at the Digikey ordering page. I will appreciate any assistance

Ken

Here is what I need to replace all with height limit of 20mm:

Samsung 204BW

820uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 5
                                  330uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 1

Existing brand - Samwha

Samsung 931BF

820uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 2
                                  470uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 1
                                  1000uF 10Volt 10 mm diam - need 2
                                  330uF 10Volt 8 mm diam - need 1
                                  47uF 50Volt 6 mm diam - need 1
                                  7uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1

Existing brand - CapXon

Gateway FPD1975W

680uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 4
                                  220uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 3
                                  470uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 2
                                  10uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1
                                  22uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1

Existing brand - Xunda

Comment

Good for you for snagging these before they hit the landfill. I wish I could do the same!

Hopefully caps are all these monitors need to be fixed.

The easiest way to narrow down your options is to go to digikey.com, type in (search field)

"820uf 25 fm"

and it will show only 2 options. One requires a minimum order of 1000 and the other is 1. So that narrows down the choice. Unfortunately though the Panasonic FM is 10mm x 25mm.

So I change the search to "820uf 25v 20.00mm" and it lists 2 options with a minimum order of 1. So choose Panasonic FC or UCC LXY. These caps are both 12.5mm diameter though and it *may* fit your scenario of the caps are packed closely together with something else.

So if you do the same for all your caps, it should make the options more limited.

Originally posted by weflyuniv
                                    I also have a Gateway FPD1975W as well as a Samsung 931BF and a Samsung 204 BW. I scrounged these and others from a local Computer Recycle. I have disassembled all three and each one of them has bulging caps which I intend to replace. I would prefer to follow this forum's advice - Digikey and Panasonic FM caps - but I am daunted by the myriad choices at the Digikey ordering page. I will appreciate any assistance
                                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 05-31-2010, 07:39 PM.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ken

Here is what I need to replace all with height limit of 20mm:

Samsung 204BW

820uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 5
                                      330uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 1

Existing brand - Samwha

Samsung 931BF

820uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 2
                                      470uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 1
                                      1000uF 10Volt 10 mm diam - need 2
                                      330uF 10Volt 8 mm diam - need 1
                                      47uF 50Volt 6 mm diam - need 1
                                      7uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1

Existing brand - CapXon

Gateway FPD1975W

680uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 4
                                      220uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 3
                                      470uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 2
                                      10uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1
                                      22uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1

Existing brand - Xunda
                                      A procedure for selecting caps is right here. You can try it and see how your results compare to mine.

First we rationalize the list. Then we pick out the parts.

1000uF 10Volt 10 mm diam - need 2 P12353-ND EEU-FM1A102 @$.51 ea
                                      820uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 7 P11222-ND EEU-FC1E821S @$1.27 ea
                                      680uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 4 P12390-ND EEU-FM1E681 @$.61 ea
                                      470uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 3 P12388-ND EEU-FM1E471 @$.51 ea
                                      330uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 2 P12386-ND EEU-FM1E331 @$.38
                                      220uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 3 P12383-ND EEU-FM1E221 @$.33
                                      47uF 50Volt 6 mm diam - need 1 P12383-ND EEU-FM1E221 @$.39
                                      22uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1 P12927-ND EEU-FM1H220 @$.15
                                      10uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1 P10316-ND EEU-FC1H100L @$.33
                                      7uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1 ??? Are you sure this isn't 47 uF?

When ordering from Digikey, I suggest specifying USPS First Class mail shipping. Most order will be delivered in two days, at a significant savings over Priority Mail or UPS.

PlainBill

Comment

I have no experience at this but I assumed it should be not too difficult to obtain replacements without having to deviate from the original size and specs. There doesn't appear to be much if any extra room for these caps and my inclination would be to not diverge from the original size. I must be missing something. Are my choices so slim by limiting the choice of brands or supply house?

Although I have little to no knowledge of electronics I was inspired to try to restore these monitors after reading about bad capacitors and how easy and cheap replacing them can be. I am comfortable to gamble the modest investment in caps and the considerable (for me at as a rank novice) time to do the job carefully. I understand that replacing the caps may not restore function. I am competent to disassemble/reassemble and do fine work but I am hesitant to deviate from the original configuration. As a complete novice I am naturally unsure where it is appropriate to diverge from exact replacement parts. I should say also I am comfortable to take full responsibility for the outcome of applying any guidance and expect no guarantees.

I have had good success restoring computers and putting them back into the community and have a nearly unlimited supply 2 to 5 year old gear. I have many more monitors available and should I have some success with replacing caps on these three displays I hope to develop more capacity to troubleshoot and repair. I hate seeing all this gear go to the landfill and enjoy seeing computers continue to serve.

I appreciate the time and expertise that anyone may offer to assist me.

Ken

PS I see now PlainBill has responded after I posted this. I will study PlainBill's suggestions. Thank you!
                                        Last edited by weflyuniv; 05-31-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Post some pics of the caps that are tightly squeezed together. I did not check any other cap on the list, I just took the first one and tried to give you an idea on how it is done.

Even PlainBill's part number for the 860uF 25V is 12.5mm in diameter above.

You could get creative and put the cap in at a bit of of an angle if they are side by side. You may even see some caps on the 3 monitors that are not installed straight 90 degrees up and down.

Other brands may have caps in the 820uF 25v, but you may have to try other suppliers who carry brands like Rubycon or some other.

I started "capping" just 5 weeks ago and so far I have fixed 5+ and waiting for caps for 3 others.

If you have not soldered, there are videos on youtube on how to do it as well as a FAQ here.

My favourite solder video is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

I have no experience at this but I assumed it should be not too difficult to obtain replacements without having to deviate from the original size and specs. There doesn't appear to be much if any extra room for these caps and my inclination would be to not diverge from the original size. I must be missing something. Are my choices so slim by limiting the choice of brands or supply house?

I hate seeing all this gear go to the landfill and enjoy seeing computers continue to serve.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X