Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer AL2416W Works, then fades to white then black...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416W Works, then fades to white then black...

Originally posted by Sparky-Steve View Post
    In regards to the text, the top right (U17 / with the cut middle leg):

APL1084
    WJ1DM

And the bottom one (U18):

APL1117
    PJ21M18
    The 33 on U17 indicates that the output voltage should be 3.3 +/- 1% so your reading of 3.29 indicates it is good.

The 18 in part number APL1117 PJ21M18 indicates that the output voltage should be 1.8 +/- 1% so your reading of 1.804 indicates it is good.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

thanks for confirming these components are good. Forgive my naivety, but does that give any indication as to what has gone wrong or where I should be looking next?

thanks
      Steve

Comment

It looks like behind the metal shield is a t-con (directly above the power and main board). Remove the shield and take a picture of it.

edit: If you haven't done so, reseat and clean all the connectors originating from the t-con board.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hiya,

I've reseated everything.

Here's the requested picture....

Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

I had this problem with a "Xerox" monitor (actually a Proview.) Got it from my brother who was about to throw it out.

Would power up with Xerox logo fine, and show desktop for about half a second, then desktop image would slowly fade to white from the outside in... Turned out to be 7 bad caps on PSU, probably causing problem with 5V rail.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Here's the requested picture....
              That is the power board. We need the board above it that is behind the metal covers.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 03-19-2012, 01:34 PM.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The T-Con board is where the white flat flex-cable coming from the mainboard (the one with the VGA input) plugs in to.

In the pic in the post above, it's the white cable in the bottom left. You need to find the other end, which will be the T-Con board.

What retiredcaps marked is just the mounting bracket for the stand (the image/monitor is upside down)

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                  What retiredcaps marked is just the mounting bracket for the stand (the image/monitor is upside down)
                  I'm glad someone is on the ball!
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm struggling to find out how to get to this t-con board, but i'm spending this afternoon trying.....

Comment

Huh... I had to dismantle absolutely everything to get to that board; picture is attached. Looks fine to my untrained eye.....

Anything?

Steve
                      Attached Files

Comment

Anything?
                        1) Clean all the connectors (CN1, CN2, and CN3) and its cables with isopropyl alcohol.

2) Using a ground screw on the t-con, measure the DC voltages of IC3 and IC4. Measure the 3 pins and ignore the fat tab. Report the part number and DC voltages.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1) Done

2)

IC3 - with fat tab at top, readings L to R: 15.3mV, 3.32V, 4.9V
                          IC4 - with fat tab at top, readings L to R: 15.1mV, 3.33V, 4.9V

Steve

Comment

Please check the switching power supply section as shown in PDF.
                            Attached Files
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

CC15,17,18-21 all measure 11.98v across the caps
                              CC10 & CC13 are 4.86v

Comment

So you are getting these correct voltages when the screen turns white also?
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

In order to test it live, and be able to see the screen, I've had to rig it up somewhat precariously; this is now on test, and right now, the screen is fine; I expect it to fail within the next 30 minutes or so, at which time I will take the readings again.

Comment

well.. it's been on test for 90 minutes now, and it's still working - it has never gone past 40 minutes before....

At the moment, either (a) it's behaving, but will pack up soon, or (b) whilst completely dismantling the unit to run it live & open, I've "fixed" something, even though I had previously reseated all connections....

I'll update this thread either when it fails, or in a week if it continues to run fine.

cheers for now

Steve

Comment

Theory: running it while open doesn't cause the failure to happen / a part to overheat due to better cooling?

Comment

I'm not convinced of that theory, as I have been running it open for over a week; the only thing that has changed is that I had to remove the T-CON board completely, and since doing so, it hasn't yet gone wrong - now on 2h30min and still running nicely.

My first theory.... the T-CON board, or a connector, was loose, or had some dirt.

My second theory.... pot luck, and it'll revert to failure soon!

Only time will tell! :-)

Steve

Comment

Just to close this case, the monitor continues to work absolutely fine; I do not know what I did precisely to fix it, but it does appear to be fixed.

Many thanks to all who participated.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                          X