Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic: repeated power off/on required to get display

Hi,

I have an interesting problem with my Viewsonic monitor, that someone here might enjoy or know something about. I'd not very valuable, but as a matter of prinicple, I'd rather not throw it away since it works perfectly except for one thing.

From a fresh PC boot, the signal doesn't seem to be detected. If I turn off the monitor via the standby button and back on again, the monitor displays the image for a slightly longer time, even if it's almost impercetible. Repeating this proceedure up to 20 times, the image stays longer each time becoming long enough to be detected properly and stays permanently. At this stage, turning the monitor off and on again, results in normal operation.

The PC build is relatively new and overclocked. The motherboard, a P67, could do with a bit more power, only 4 of it's 8 power pins are connected. Everything worked fine for a number of weeks after the build and the voltages on the mobo seem stable, even when fully loaded. This leads me to believe that the mobo power is unlikely to be the problem.

It sounds to me like a capacitor / psu problem in the monitor. Like something isn't getting chance to fully charge, before it's power is being switched out, but I'm very interested in hearing any suggestions that people may have on how best to confirm the source of the problem and ideas on how to fix it.

Thanks for reading,

Craig.

Re: Viewsonic: repeated power off/on required to get display

The best thing to do is to open the monitor up and look at the caps in the power supply. If they are bulging, replace them with low ESR, name brand caps such as Panasonic FM series. If you aren't sure what you are seeing, take a well lit, clear picture (at least 1000 x 1000 pixels) of the power supply and attach it using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for your response, Bill. Your 5,770(!) posts seem to indicate that you know what you're talking about and it matches what I'd expect. I shouldn't have too much difficulty replacing the caps, since I'm not entirely new to electronics. I'd really rather not have any downtime, so before I go cracking open the case - how sure are you that this is the problem? Also, if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them too!
      Last edited by craigi; 09-22-2011, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigi View Post
        Thanks for your response, Bill. Your 5,770(!) posts seem to indicate that you know what you're talking about and it matches what I'd expect. I shouldn't have too much difficulty replacing the caps, since I'm not entirely new to electronics. I'd really rather not have any downtime, so before I go cracking open the case - how sure are you that this is the problem? Also, if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them too!
        Not at all sure; the 'slow turn on' symptom is typical of bad caps, but you seem to have an additional wrinkle.

Wait!!! 5770 posts!!! What was I thinking. I could have been watching TV.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
        X