Samsung Syncmaster 204BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster 204BW

Got this monitor, first when I turned it on the screen was red then it started slowly changing colors. So, I opened it up, and found 3 bulged capXons. Replaced them and now the monitor comes on, but its all red!

The VGA cable is fine (tested with another monitor). I re-seated all connectors but it still hasn't gotten better. Any Ideas? I will measure some voltages and get some pics up in a little while.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 204BW

Ok, 13v reads good, 3.3v reads good, and ?1.5v? reads 1.6v; all measured on the logic board. :/ As far as I can see, all fuses on the board read good also.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ben7; 06-17-2012, 06:53 AM. Reason: Add pic
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Is that with a source, can you try with dvi on that model?
      Check back of the vga socket for dirt /solder balls.
      Is it red without any source?
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
        Is that with a source, can you try with dvi on that model?
        Check back of the vga socket for dirt /solder balls.
        Is it red without any source?
        Sorry, I don't have a DVI cable :/

Without any source, there is no picture at all!

The solder on the VGA connector is questionable, but wiggling the connector doesn't change the image. I might try reflowing it later.

Also, it appears that when the screen is on (displaying a red image) that there is some sort of scrambled thing in the middle of the screen.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Just seen the pic the inverter caps look a bit bulged (Are They) and they are capxon?
          Not sure that that would affect the colour though.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            Just seen the pic the inverter caps look a bit bulged (Are They) and they are capxon?
            Not sure that that would affect the colour though.
            Yes they are CapXon, with them the monitor is blue/green at first, then it slowly changes color to red over a few secs.

I have replaced them with good rubys and Nichicons but now I am having this red picture problem :/
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Reseat the LVDS connector going to the T-con.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                Reseat the LVDS connector going to the T-con.
                I did that, and the screen went wacky the first time I started it up (the screen was random bars of color, which started to change color to red). The second time it was red only again ...

Do you think the T-con is fried by the excessive voltage ripple from the old capXon caps?
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Can you do picture front and back of the other boards.

Comment

1. PSU front
                    2. PSU back
                    3. Mobo front
                    4. Mobo back

I was having trouble getting good pics with the light in my room, so I might have to take some more later, if you want xD

Edit: I had trouble getting good focus on the T-con board
                    Attached Files
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                      Ok, 13v reads good, 3.3v reads good, and ?1.5v? reads 1.6v; all measured on the logic board. :/ As far as I can see, all fuses on the board read good also.
                      Did you read the 3.3v and 1.6V output directly off the voltage regulators on the logic board? The 3.3V sounds good. The 1.6V regulator might be labeled something like 1117-18, which indicates a 1.8V output. If yes, then the 1.8V regulator looks a little off spec and would possibly indicate a bad regulator or bad output cap.
                      Last edited by jetadm123; 06-17-2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                        Did you read the 3.3v and 1.6V output directly off the voltage regulators on the logic board? The 3.3V sounds good. The 1.6V regulator might be labeled something like 1117-18, which indicates a 1.8V output. If yes, then the 1.8V regulator looks a little off spec and would possibly indicate a bad regulator or bad output cap.
                        Aha, it is 1117

I looked up the data sheet, and it came up with an adjustable LDO, but I might have found the wrong one.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

If there's a '18' stamped on the regulator, then it's fixed output. This regulator is made by many companies. You can use the datasheet below as a reference:
                          Attached Files

Comment

If it is adjustable then take the reading between pin 1 and pin 2, it must be 1.25V if it is OK.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Back, it does have 18 stamped on it, and its outputting 1.6V not 1.8V. Do you think the regulator could be bad, or could something be loading down the output?
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

That is 11% off, yes the really heavy load may cause the problem or just bad regulator. I would try a new one.
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Back, it does have 18 stamped on it, and its outputting 1.6V not 1.8V. Do you think the regulator could be bad, or could something be loading down the output?
                                  Since there are no electrolytic caps on the main board, my guess is that the regulator itself is bad. I use a +/- 1% rule for regulators.

In this subforum, most of the problems (I'm guessing 90%+) are the regulators itself and not some component around it.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Do you think the regulator could be bad, or could something be loading down the output?
                                    If you are really good at removing SMD devices, it would be really easy to test the regulator itself with a couple of AA batteries in series or a 3V CR2032 battery.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      Since there are no electrolytic caps on the main board, my guess is that the regulator itself is bad. I use a +/- 1% rule for regulators.

In this subforum, most of the problems (I'm guessing 90%+) are the regulators itself and not some component around it.
                                      You sure the caps aren't electro's? They are in a can, but they could be polys I guess; I cant tell the difference xD

I guess I will order some parts soon then, since I have a list of parts I want for other projects too. And I need some more caps.
                                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

OMG I am excited!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20879

I did the EEPROM (same chip in this one) reset, and the menu and buttons worked for a min or two! (The screen was still mostly red) Then it went back to the garbled up state again. I am guessing there is a bad capacitor or two on the processing board too, and maybe a bad regulator (LM1117) - time to order some parts!

I found a 5v rail on the board too, it has a buck smps. I measured the 5v and it was about 4.7v, and I measured AC voltage, and it was almost half a volt! no wonder there is problems! I think the failed PSU caps put excess stress on these, so they failed, and made the screen garbled up (excessive AC ripple).

Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                        X