Replacement Caps for bulged HERMEI??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Caps for bulged HERMEI??

I really have been trying to do my own research here and it seems that every time I think I know what values I need, something changes, or I really DON'T understand them as well as I thought.

Scenario is that I use a HDD player in my shop via toslink, the weather started getting warm a week ago and I couldn't shut it off. I pulled the plug, let it cool down, fired it up to make sure it still worked, brought it inside then opened it up and found a cap that had bulged/vented.

I'm not an electrical engineer however, I have no problems with a soldering iron and caps, opamps, plugs, wires. I am just uncertain of which values specifically to replace these (apparently infamous) caps with?

There are two specifically marked with the HERMEI brand that will be replaced. The one that is bulged is the only purple/silver, while the others are more normal looking Black/Grey.

Purple/Silver is labeled as
    LZ 105C*
    470uF 16V
    Black/Grey is labeled as
    HT105C*
    470uF 10V

I believe I have found both of the data sheets for the LZ and HT series caps (THX to the links from this site) but am having some difficulties in cross referencing their values with something of a better build quality ie. Nichicon, Ruby, Pana. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Forgot to attach the PDF.s LoL
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Akashajeep; 06-06-2017, 03:08 PM.

Re: Replacement Caps for bulged HERMEI??

LZ
    470/16 8mm x 10mm 0.042r 850ma
    FR
    470/16 8mm x 11.5mm 0.056r 950ma < close enough.
    HT - general junk.

i would just fit a pair of FR's

Comment

Thank you!! Very much appreciated

Comment

Some general junk knowledge you might find useful:

LZ - Series name, as you learned
        105C* - rated to operate within spec up to 105 degrees C
        0949 - date code, 49th week of 2009

Even though Hermei isn't a great brand, that part lasted about 7 1/2 years, which is not too bad. Either you got lucky in the reliability lottery, or the manufacturer of that HDD player used it well.

The series stj recommended is made by Panasonic, a very good brand. Digi-Key might carry that part. Also, there is a very similar part - same case size - in Nichicon's HV series, which Digi-Key might carry.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

0949 = Date code! The mystery has been solved!! LoL, I really didn't know that. But yes I DO take very good care of my electronics. This is the first year I have had that HDD player in my shop as it is usually inside my "equipment rack" which is cooled by numerous fans. I did Frankenstein the top of the player so it now has X2 80MM fans pulling air out. Honestly I think I have to take more blame in the fault of that cap as it was pushing 100*F easy, in the shop for 5-6 hours!!

Comment

I think the main part that was throwing me off was the fact that the data sheet gives values for the impedance max @ 25*C AND -10*C (100kHz) in standard Ohm readings while the Mouser/Digikey part finders are in mOhm format. As well as the small variations between the charted "Ultra low imp, High ripple" vs. "STANDARD SIZE, RATED RIPPLE CURRENT" which I can't deduce any markings on the caps themselves to indicate what they in fact are.

Comment

Working...
            X