Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCKN capacitors?

Hi

I've got a power supply with NCKN capacitors and do not know anything about them.
    Do you have any infos about them?

Re: NCKN capacitors?

I've only ever seen them for sale on eBay. Chinese junk would be my guess, but I've never seen one in person. What PSU is it?

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=2545

This one.
      Don't know who the manufacturer is but build quality doesn't seem that bad.
      At least it has SamXon caps for filtering.

Comment

Originally posted by chowder View Post
        I've only ever seen them for sale on eBay. Chinese junk would be my guess, but I've never seen one in person.
        I second that.

Since it's in a PC ATX PSU, just replace with the standard low ESR you'd normally use in a PSU... i.e. Chemicon KY/KYB, Nichicon PW/HE, Panasonic FC, etc.

Comment

I've just retired a couple of old digital receiver boxes with NCKN caps in the power supply.

All tested good, and this was after some 8 or 9 years of constant use. The one cap from another brand (Rulycon by the looks of things) reads completely out of spec (ESR meter reads it as a pair of diodes!!!), but the receivers were still working fine.

I'd say based on this very small sample that these caps are reasonable for Chinese offerings.

Comment

I guess by NCKN you mean NKCON.

If you search around the forum, you'll find many instances of failed NKCONs. I guess they are better than some truly awful Chinese brands, but that's not saying too much. Maybe NCKN and NKCON are different brands, though.
            Last edited by Wester547; 07-20-2016, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Naa, I mean NCKN, as you can see in the link I've posted in this thread.

By the looks of the PSU, I think it's safe to assume that it was an earlier Super Flower model, especially when you take into account that it's labeled Silentmaxx who tend to use Supeflower...

But still, this PSU is rather old...

So I really do not know what to expect. But since I've found them in a Super Flower unit, I tend to belive that they aren't that bad like HEC or fCon capacitors...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                So I really do not know what to expect. But since I've found them in a Super Flower unit, I tend to belive that they aren't that bad like HEC or fCon capacitors...
                Or perhaps Super Flower knew what they were doing and designed the PSU well so that the caps wouldn't be stressed as much, kind of like what Delta does so that even CapXon in their PSUs last a somewhat more reasonable amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  Or perhaps Super Flower knew what they were doing and designed the PSU well so that the caps wouldn't be stressed as much, kind of like what Delta does so that even CapXon in their PSUs last a somewhat more reasonable amount of time.
                  Not if you rip em out and throw them away- seeing crapxon is a bad joke at this point.
                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                  Originally posted by shango066
                  All style and no substance.
                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                    Not if you rip em out and throw them away- seeing crapxon is a bad joke at this point.
                    They are, true. But I still maintain that CapXon seems to last longer in Delta PSUs than anywhere else... well relatively speaking, I should add .
                    Last edited by momaka; 08-01-2016, 09:12 PM.

Comment

They are, true. But I still maintain that CapXon seems to last longer in Delta PSUs than anywhere else... well relatively speaking, I should add .
                      In the words of Jackie Gleason: "Hardy-har-har."

Even Ltecs last* in Delta supplies. If the pulse width is wider (transformer ratio is higher) the caps see less stress. A 12V output, with 28V and narrow pulse width into the output inductor stresses the caps more than the same 12V output but 20V and narrower pulse width.

*=Yes, define "last," but it's more than 8 months... Or one month, like with those "replace power" things.
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Even Ltecs last* in Delta supplies.
                        Ltec is many "bad cap miles" ahead of CapXon. So if CapXon "lasts", then so will Ltec.

A 12V output, with 28V and narrow pulse width into the output inductor stresses the caps more than the same 12V output but 20V and wider pulse width.
                        I am going to ASS-U-ME** this is what you meant to write?

** (As one retired Navy fella once told me, 'when you ASSUME, you make and ASS out of U and ME' )

Comment

As I say though I have seen them in a nasty STB switching power supply (from a bottom-of-the-barrel manufacturer -- anyone in the UK knows that "Bush" do not source their gear from the best companies!), with around 8-10 years of constant use, and the ESR still reads like a new cap.

Even if they weren't that badly stressed that's still not an indication of a bad cap IMO.

Comment

SOme updates. Got myself an Atlas ESR70 and it seems that all the NCKN caps in that PSU were fine. The koshin not so much though...

Same for some JP CE TUL ones in another Super Flower unit. All 10V ones seemed to be bad...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Those look quite leaky. Try charging them to 9V and then short the terminals on the cap after about 1 minute. A leaky cap will be almost drained and not do much. A good 1000 uF or higher cap will produce a small spark.

It gets even better with 16V caps charged to 12-15 Volts. My low-ESR Rubycon MCZ and Nichicon HZ caps will leave a permanent burn mark on whatever tool I used for shorting their leads.

Comment

Yeah, I could try that. But that capacitor is ~15 years old. From early 2000s, maybe, if I'm lucky from 2005.

And those Koshin caps also came out of the (probably) Super FLower 480W pPFC PSU...

Comment

Working...
                                X