Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Cell Phone Question?

Hi
    I have a little Tracfone made by LG. My son gave me a much nicer Motorola Flip phone today. Can the SIM chip from the LG phone be put into the Motorola Flip Phone?
    My wife has a little Motorola Phone and my son also gave me a much nicer CricKet phone for her. Its the same question again. Can the SIM chip from her little Motorola be put in the CricKet Phone so she can use it?
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: A Cell Phone Question?

As long as the phone given to you is locked to the same service provider your sim card is a part of you can swap the card and it will work.

Most if not all retail phones are locked to the service provider they were purchased from. They can be unlocked to work on any provider but it involves some software hacking.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I think my son said that these phones are unlocked. I'll check with him again before we try and do it. We will be doing it with my LG phone first since its screwed up. Its a real POS.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

just try swapping cards. if the phone asks for anything else than the PIN, it's locked to another provider..

Comment

If it is a real "tracfone" then it is verizon and CDMA. It does not take sim cards and is a completely different system.

The only GSM carriers in the USA are T-Mobil and AT&T, if you don't have either of those you are SOL.

Comment

It sounds like you are asking two questions. First:

1. Can the SIM module from the LG (TracFone) be put into the Motorola Flip phone?

Is the Motorola Flip phone a TracFone? If so, you don't need to. My TracFone (GSM, Nokia 2600) fell off the car and was run over. Bought a new TracFone (LG600, GSM). Called TracFone and explained the situation. I read the IMEI of the new phone (or SIM card, don't remember which). They transferred the old phone number, number of prepaid minutes, etc. to the new LG600. I'm using the SIM card that came with the LG600. And I have 640x480 camera, limited internet, etc. that the LG offers (old phone didn't have internet or camera).

If the Motorola Flip is not a TracFone, try it (nothing to lose). But if TracFone's firmware is not in the Motorola, you likely can't use it with TracFone.

2. Can the SIM card from the wife's Motorola (phone #3) be put in the Cricket (phone #4)?

Well, based on the above (and on others' advice here) I'd say probably. Call and ask, explain, etc. I've heard LOTS of bad stuff about cell-phone customer service, though.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

(EDIT: Looks like TracFone sells both GSM and CDMA.)
            Last edited by Hondaman; 05-14-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

you cannot.

NO tracphone will let you do that... they make thier sim cards so the cards and phones are tracphone only (even GSM).

sorry to tell you that...
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Well... you can likely reflash the tracphone to a normal firmware. I just read that tracphone sim cards are not compatible with normal phones... but I bet you could copy the IMSI/KI into a normal card and use the service.

But this is waaaay too much work for an operator that doesn't even have its own networks, CDMA or GSM.

Comment

Working...
                X