Can't find any nichi 470 HM caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find any nichi 470 HM caps

I'm in need of a 470uf 16v HM cap to replace a KZG cap.
    Problem is I need it in 8x11.5 with 3.5 lead spacing, due to PCI-E issue.
    Sadly it looks like nichicon has stop making 470uf HM caps.

All I need is one, but the closest one I can find is panny FR with impedance of 38 vs kzg 36 ohms. I've also tried looking for higher voltage ones but no success. I can go wide to 10mm but the lead spacing would need to be the same at 3.5mm.

Next one up is HN that's over kill with 21 ohm impedance ripple rating of 1760.
    I've tried both digi-key and mouser, mouser has the HN.

Is there another suitable replacement?

Re: Can't find any nichi 470 HM caps

FR is 56mOhm , FM is 38-41. KZG is 36.

The FR are close enough and honestly, I don't think the ESR really matters here. After all, just after this capacitor you have video cards that in turn have additional polymer capacitors on them that have much lower esr.

In real world, I don't think the 20 mOhm will make any difference... I'd just go with whatever is close enough.

Alternatively, just go with 330uF 16v polymer, something like Nichicon L8 springs to mind: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...7-1-ND/2347917
    Seems to fit your parameters, 3.5mm space, low enough in height, close enough in esr etc

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
      FR is 56mOhm , FM is 38-41. KZG is 36.

The FR are close enough and honestly, I don't think the ESR really matters here. After all, just after this capacitor you have video cards that in turn have additional polymer capacitors on them that have much lower esr.

In real world, I don't think the 20 mOhm will make any difference... I'd just go with whatever is close enough.

Alternatively, just go with 330uF 16v polymer, something like Nichicon L8 springs to mind: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...7-1-ND/2347917
      Seems to fit your parameters, 3.5mm space, low enough in height, close enough in esr etc
      Forgive me but I'm not familiar with polymer caps. Seems capacitance is a bit undersize? This cap is between two pci-e slots, not sure what it's function is, since the board is a multilayer PCB.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...s&dlc=en&lc=en
      It's between the 16x and 1x slots, left cap. Board in the picture is a different revision. The one I have is green and revision 5, battery is in a different location. But the design about the same except for that black slot at very bottom of the board, on this one I have none.

Comment

Or better - http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...4-1-ND/2239227 (A 470uF 16V Nichicon FPCAP NE poly)

Otherwise, http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...2376-ND/613737 would do you fine too.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The FM is 15mm tall - it might be an issue with pci express cards not fitting in the slot properly (large heatsinks hitting it)

The 470uF 16v polymer is a bit too low on esr but in practice it may not matter. I chose that 330uF 16v because it's somewhere in the middle at about 20 mOhm esr. Not super low, not high enough to be as an electrolytic.

Mad_Professor, these are bulk storage of energy capacitors ... it's just one capacitor that's going to be practically in parallel with the 16v rated capacitors on the video card that are going to provide additional capacitance.

It's unlikely that lowering the capacitance to 330uF would cause any problems. If you're going to have a look at polymer only motherboards, you'll see that they're actually mostly using 270-330uF 16v capacitors... they don't feel the need to go as high as 470-560uF.

Comment

The FM is 15mm tall - it might be an issue with pci express cards not fitting in the slot properly (large heatsinks hitting it)

The 470uF 16v polymer is a bit too low on esr but in practice it may not matter. I chose that 330uF 16v because it's somewhere in the middle at about 20 mOhm esr. Not super low, not high enough to be as an electrolytic.

Mad_Professor, these are bulk storage of energy capacitors ... it's just one capacitor that's going to be practically in parallel with the 16v rated capacitors on the video card that are going to provide additional capacitance.

It's unlikely that lowering the capacitance to 330uF would cause any problems. If you're going to have a look at polymer only motherboards, you'll see that they're actually mostly using 270-330uF 16v capacitors... they don't feel the need to go as high as 470-560uF.
            I did take a look on this board, it has a few polymer caps, only one has 820uf @ 2.5v the rest were under 300uf @ 16v. You are correct.

I'll give it a shot.

I appreciate the help guys. Thank you.

Comment

The one you linked was a 270uf 10 mOhm< is this correct?

did you mean RL81C331MDN1?

What's the difference of FPCAP?

Comment

Hmm I see now I did link to a 270uF capacitor...my bad with the link... I was probably thinking about one thing and writing something else.

But anyway, I was pretty clear in the previous posts. I don't think the ESR of this capacitor is really that important. I was aiming for something with slightly higher esr (because most polymers have very low esr) just to be extra safe/cautious.

Comment

Hmm I see now I did link to a 270uF capacitor...my bad with the link... I was probably thinking about one thing and writing something else.

But anyway, I was pretty clear in the previous posts. I don't think the ESR of this capacitor is really that important. I was aiming for something with slightly higher esr (because most polymers have very low esr) just to be extra safe/cautious.
                  Alright, I don't see one with higher esr, I'm seeing 10-14 mOhms so I guess I just get c_hegge's suggestion for polymer.
                  Last edited by Mad_Professor; 12-02-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X