Westinghouse LCM-19w4 Vertical Line on LCD Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse LCM-19w4 Vertical Line on LCD Screen

I received this monitor from a school and it would not power up. All the caps were bulged. I did a successful cap replacement, but when i turned it on got this Vertical Line on the Right Hand side of the screen.

The line is constant and is there from the startup process all the way through until the machine is completely booted. My limited repair experience is telling me that this is an LCD panal and is not repairable.

Would you pros agree?

The green and red on the screen are just from the screen saver.

Second question..Would there have been a way I could have checked the LCD panel before I did the recap to see if it was good? I get lots of non working monitors given to me and its disapointing to go through all the work only to find out i have a bad LCD.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DTLMG; 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM.

Re: Westinghouse LCM-19w4 Vertical Line on LCD Screen

Yes it's not repairable,But you do have a good set of test CCFLs,
    As far as lines go that could be difficult,unless you wanted to try the panel in another monitor.
    Broken LCD can be located by careful examination,I have used an external inverter to check the integrity of the screen and look for any pressure marks
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
      Yes it's not repairable,But you do have a good set of test CCFLs,
      As far as lines go that could be difficult,unless you wanted to try the panel in another monitor.
      Broken LCD can be located by careful examination,I have used an external inverter to check the integrity of the screen and look for any pressure marks
      I have been trying to build an external inverter for testing back lights.. see this thread... no responses.. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17723

When you say put the panel in another monitor you mean another westinghouse right? I tried to put it into an HP power inverter and got nothing.. no backlight or anything.. OF course the ribbon configuration is different.

Comment

Originally posted by DTLMG View Post
        I have been trying to build an external inverter for testing back lights.. see this thread... no responses.. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17723

When you say put the panel in another monitor you mean another westinghouse right? I tried to put it into an HP power inverter and got nothing.. no backlight or anything.. OF course the ribbon configuration is different.
        I have a backlight tester that I use on some occasions.
        However I don't use for testing a 2 second to black problem, When the monitor powers on it runs a series of tests to make sure the backlight system is working properly. Just because a backlight will light in the tester doesn't always mean that it will perform in the monitor. It really depends the tolerances that are programmed into the inverter.
        I have always had better luck using known good CCFLs in the monitor that is exhibiting a problem.
        I guess I am lucky I always have numerous monitors setting around, so I experiment a lot and can find another screen that's compatible. I think the biggest problem you will run across is cracked or broken screens. I just don't run into a lot of monitors with colored lines running down them.
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Problem Solved

Problem solved! I am learning that many back light assemblies, PSU, etc are interchangable. I happened to have a V87 19 inch monitor waiting to be recapped... I looked at backlight assy and it was a drop in fit. REassembled and it has been on for the past 4 hours. Now if i can just figure out what fits what, I ll keep this in mind when rummaging through the schools recycable pile!

Comment

Working...
          X