storm season is here.long run ups mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

storm season is here.long run ups mods

these apc units do nicely on large external batts.
    you can see how simple it is once you see the battery connectors and remove disconnect.replace with the battery connectors and hook up external cables.will post pics later as database seems broken
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kc8adu; 03-22-2006, 08:40 PM.

Re: storm season is here.long run ups mods

my UPS's batteries are dead as hell. Of the 3 UPS's I have, one was blown up last year by lightning........go figure.

Database seems broken? Do tell, seems good here.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

- in the morning i got a database error one time when viewing a thread
      - three users complained about database error when they tried to upload attachments
      - i tried to fix one users attachment and got database error

better check the logs....no smoke without fire....i hope its something minor

attachments is working now....strange

nope its broke again
      Last edited by willawake; 03-14-2006, 03:51 PM.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

seeing the same.... checking it out.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

test

Seems to be ok. I was implementing a HUGE database for a car site last night, I had to change some settings. I changed everything back. Please report any further errors.

Thx.
          Attached Files
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

works for me too. many thanks.

Comment

i will post the pics tomorrow.
              post the brands of your ups's and i will tell you whether they are good for long run/external batts.

Comment

somehow the other pics got corrupted on a bad floppy.
                next set will be a ibm 12v unit that now has a 12v 50ah wheelchair gel battery attached and a lighter socket with 15a breaker for charging cellphones,ect and a white led for a nightlight.

Comment

How does the stock charging circuit deal with the added batteries? Is this something I could do with my standard APC 350va UPS? I think that battery is 6v, and it only has a single batt, but I could be wrong. Even if it is 6v, you can still buy 6v batts at lawn and garden or motorsports shops. Do you have to have any special type of battery, or will any old lead-acid battery do? What specs should you look for that will give you the approx runtime?
                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

dood; I've been told by APC that it is not a good idea, there is risk of overloading the charger, and then you will have a very useless UPS...
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I've done this a couple of times, and my intention was to use the old UPS as a small power inverter.
                      My bank of batteries were able to recharge from the ships engine alternator when under way. I don,t think these units have the ability to bring back a set of deep cycle batteries when they are down.
                      Jim

Comment

apc units like the 1400 i had hooked up there do just fine with an external battery.
                        charging is limited to about an amp so expect slow recovery if you deep cycle it.
                        been doing these for about 10 years and no failures.of course the mfr will discourage such use.its called cya.(cover your a$$)
                        we live out in the sticks here and sometimes every severe thunderstorm or ice storm takes out the power here.i setup most of my neighbors with these and they have been very happy.

Comment

I have an APC Smart UPS 1000 (not sure of the exact model--it's a 4U unit that originally had two 12V 7AH batteries in series. One of the older beige-front units, not the newer black-front ones).

I modified it to use two marine deep cycle batteries (Costco Kirkland Signature 85AH group 24 batteries--made by Johnson Controls). It can power a Dell Optiplex 260 with a 15" LCD screen (the Optiplex was running Folding at Home so it was consuming more power) for about 14 hours. It was pulling about 6 amps from the batteries with that load, so I figure it was around 120-130 watts.

I put a 60-amp fuse inline with the batteries, and used 10-gauge wire. Thicker wire probably would have been better but I'm not loading this UPS anywhere near it's max.

This UPS has a fan in it. It seems that if you're going to add larger batteries to a UPS, you want one with a fan. The fan actually didn't even work so I replaced it (24V muffin fan) when I figured out that it was never coming on.

I find that I only need to add water to the batteries once every few months, even though the float voltage of the APC Smart UPS is higher than optimal for a flooded lead acid battery.

Interestingly enough, it charges the batteries at 10 amp rate after a power failure. Pretty odd given that it had two 7AH batteries in it, but this charge rate is perfect for the 85AH deep cycle battery.

Comment

Originally posted by brianl703
                            Interestingly enough, it charges the batteries at 10 amp rate after a power failure. Pretty odd given that it had two 7AH batteries in it, but this charge rate is perfect for the 85AH deep cycle battery.
                            lol thats probably why smartups generally toast SLA early

Comment

I had a random battery fault that tripped mt UPS in a power failure last winter (idiot drove into a three phase pylon) and if it does it again I better go and start switching over to the deep cycle battery I have stored in the shed. Actually, I better go see if it's okay.
                              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                i will post the pics tomorrow.
                                post the brands of your ups's and i will tell you whether they are good for long run/external batts.

How about the Tripp Lite Rack Mount SMART2200RMXL2U Can I fabricate something to us its existing External Battery Pack Leads that are build in?

I see you choose Gel and not AGM batteries; is that because the build in battery charger of the UPS is designed for Gel and not AGM?

Comment

Working...
                                X