New dead rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New dead rig

I just bought an Acer Aspire M1800 desktop computer for dirt cheap today in order to upgrade my main PC in my sig. I haven't done any computer work for ages now, so I'm pretty rusty...
    It's got a Core 2 Duo T7400 CPU, 4GB RAM, nvidia G210 graphics and a 640GB hard drive.
    Anyway, it turns on, but I get no display at all. I haven't tinkered much with it yet because I'm off to work soon... basically I removed all the RAM and I get a long beep... so I guess that means the board still works?
    I tried using on board graphics to no help at all... should I get a different external nvidia card?
    The power supply is a good unit made by Delta electronics. When I got the system, I could tell it had never been opened up or tampered with because the security/warranty seals were still intact!
    Even the protector clear plastics are still on the case!

What should I do guys...?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: New dead rig

Core 2 Duo T7400 is a laptop CPU, and will not work in a desktop. Maybe thats a typo and you ment E7400. Take out the G210 video card and try the onboard video.

Comment

don't worry guys, got it started again by just removing and re-inserting the CMOS battery.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Oops, i meant the E7400.

Comment

Since it's all up and running now, I'm wondering about the graphics card... the one in there now is an nvidia G210 512MB... the one in my sig below is also an nvidia, but a 512MB 8400GS... which one is better?

Comment

They are the same. nV decided to do this big confusing naming change after the 9 series. It is equivalent to a 9400... which is the same as a 8400 but more power efficient.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

^BS
              the 8800 series were relabelled as 9800's. the 9400 is a new chip. plus it has nothing to do with the G210.

the GeForce G210 is an low-end OEM-only card based on the 40nm GT218 core.
              the 8400GS is either based on the old and faulty 80nm G84/G86 core (old cards) or the newer 65nm G98GS core (newer cards). the last production run actually used the 40nm GT218 core just like the Geforce G210.

the geforce (G)210 is a bit faster and a bit cooler running, but nothing that would cause any "wow-effect"..

check your 8400GS with GPU-Z as for what core it's using. if it's the old G84/G86 core, i'd use the G210 before the 8400 craps out (which it will do... it's a matter of when, not if..)

if i were you, i'd rip that Core 2 Duo E7400 and the G210 out and put it in your main box.
              the CPU has a shitload more oomph & runs cooler, and the GPU will probably last longer than the 8400 (if it's based on the G84/G86)

the 640GB HDD is probably also much newer (read: faster) than your current ancient Seagate 7200.7
              i've got 2 Barracuda 7200.7 120GB SATA HDDs here.. they're pretty hot-running (35°C w. 120mm fan @ 5V) and slow (average 65MB/s) compared to the newer 500GB WD Caviar Blue's i've got (which run below 30°C in the same computer and get 87MB/s average)

Use HDTune (i'll send you a link via PM, as this thread is not in the VIP lounge *ahem*) to check the HDDs (how fast they are in comparison)

edit: you might also wanna rip the 4GB RAM out (if it isn't DDR3)
              Last edited by Scenic; 03-15-2011, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                the geforce (G)210 is a bit faster and a bit cooler running, but nothing that would cause any "wow-effect"..
                And what was i saying?
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

8400 and 9400 have nothing to do with each other (apart from being low-end cards obviously)
                  your post implied that 8400 = 9400 .. just relabelled. which is BS..

Comment

if i were you, i'd rip that Core 2 Duo E7400 and the G210 out and put it in your main box.
                    the CPU has a shitload more oomph & runs cooler, and the GPU will probably last longer than the 8400 (if it's based on the G84/G86)

edit: you might also wanna rip the 4GB RAM out (if it isn't DDR3)
                    Um. just wondering, but why do you suggest I put all this stuff into my "main box"? I think the Acer should be okay right? Though I will agree there are some design flaws with the case... so much so it didn't even come with an exhaust fan so I had to buy one for it today. O.o

... and the RAM is DDR2.

Comment

well in theory you could just do it the other way around and make the acer your main PC..
                      but most of the Acer PCs i've seen so far had crappy OEM only boards with crippled BIOSes and low-end chipsets, relatively weak PSUs and junk (soda-can-like) cases..

don't know about this one.. and i'm too lazy to look up detailed specs and pics right now

Comment

your post implied that 8400 = 9400 .. just relabelled. which is BS..
                        I said that G210 = 9400. And the 9400 is equivalent to the 8400. So G210 = 8400 for all intents and purposes.

Comment

Drop that E7400 in your main rig. I have an E7500 in mine and I am very satisfied with it. I see no need to upgrade mine any time soon. It may be a last-gen processor but it still feels lightning fast to me.

Comment

well in theory you could just do it the other way around and make the acer your main PC..
                            but most of the Acer PCs i've seen so far had crappy OEM only boards with crippled BIOSes and low-end chipsets, relatively weak PSUs and junk (soda-can-like) cases..

don't know about this one.. and i'm too lazy to look up detailed specs and pics right now
                            The board is an MSI I think? (Had an MS-xxxx model number on it), and the chipset is an nvidia something, the BIOS is simple though and the PSU is a Delta. I would change the CPU and stuff into the Asus rig, but clearly I can't be bothered LOL.

I'll use it in the Acer for now and see how it goes.

Comment

meh... even though i kinda hate Asus, the P5K-E/WiFi-AP is without doubt the better board (P35 Chipset with ICH9R Southbridge)..

nvidia chipset and MSI OEM motherboard (which most likely isn't listed on the MSI page for support, much like the Medion-MSI boards) make me shiver.. *brr*

Comment

Scenic, I fucking hate it to be honest. I used it today and I wasn't happy at all!

Sure the case is nice and beautiful, but it's design is so shit that I want to vomit on it! It bloody cut me and I couldn't even get the other side open without smashing the damn thing against the floor!

Seriously guys, I need some advice on getting a new case, and a better motherboard! I'd prefer full size ATX though.

Comment

anyway, i decided to keep the acer as is and just chuck it into the bedroom to watch tv and access the net. i do have an issue though... how come it's picky with graphics cards? i put an x600pro in there and it worked fine, but when i put an x600xt (identical card as well), it would be quirky and restart give me artifacts?
                                  it even hates the G210 that it comes with... sometimes it would bsod etc. but after i reseated that and ran burn in tests it's fine again?

Comment

take a brush and clean the PCIe slot

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                                      anyway, i decided to keep the acer as is and just chuck it into the bedroom to watch tv and access the net. i do have an issue though... how come it's picky with graphics cards? i put an x600pro in there and it worked fine, but when i put an x600xt (identical card as well), it would be quirky and restart give me artifacts?
                                      it even hates the G210 that it comes with... sometimes it would bsod etc. but after i reseated that and ran burn in tests it's fine again?
                                      I suspect PSU. Especially if it acts up when you put a card that uses more power.

And graphic card issues, when it's an outright bad card, usually don't cause a BSOD, you usually instead get a POST failure or a corrupted desktop screen. Also, usually a corrupted BIOS screen!

But, with the RAM being loose or a bad RAM slot, a BSOD complaining about some type of corruption is a typical sign.
                                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Ever since I cleaned out the graphics card port with a rocket blower for my dSLR, it's been fine... but then again I did reseat the RAM as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X