Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suitable replacement for Nichicon HM series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suitable replacement for Nichicon HM series?

I replaced the Nichicon HE with the right part Nichicon HM (ordered from Mouser). Did a much better looking job this time and I'm currently re-installing XP on it. Everything so far looks normal.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

This board which was my sister-in-laws is still working very nicely. I have an exact mother board as well to this one on my own system, and a week or two ago my ethernet port started working intermittently. It indicates that the cable is not connected. Fortunately, this board has another ethernet port so I was able to get by without it. Anyway my son reported a few days ago that the system froze on him twice and rebooted itself once over a 2 day period - we usually leave the unit on all the time. I inspected the motherboard and found a bloated 3300 uF 6.3V cap near the CPU. I also noticed that these were Chemicon KZGs and my board is filled with these. The exact other board I have uses Nichicons, go figure. Anyway I decided to change the 7 3300 uF 6.3v KZG caps around the CPU area, and one 1000 UF cap near the USB/LAN ports last night - hoping that this could have caused the LAN to break. I'm hoping this will cure the instability although it was quite stable. Any ideas on why the LAN port still does not work? Could it be one of the other 1000 uF caps, or did the part just go dead? Also, do you think its critical I change out the remaing 20 or so 1000 uf KZG caps out? I read here that is most likely heat that caused the CAP to go bad, and the remaining ones seem in a cooler area.

Thanks for any advice

Comment

It's likely some or all of the 1000uF caps are in parallel through the board.

Also might be small 4 or 5 mm cap[s] near the LAN chip [or the LAN chip's voltage regulator if it has one].
        Those little ones are not common failure items but it does happen.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I'd add that my Vantec van-420a psu was also a mobo killer, full of fuhjiyoohoo's.
          - I recapped it, and even this dell is being run by it.

Comment

Can't blame everything on the capacitors! I reinstalled the drivers for the lans (nvidia and Marvell) to older versions and the lan is now working again!

Comment

So the newer drivers used to work and now they don't?

Sounds like you worked around the problem instead of fixing it.
              - Which means it's still there.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

When I first read your post I thought it was drivers, but did not say so because you did not mention changing the drivers

Yes, the nForce3 v5.11 driver will bluescreen when any settings with the LAN are changed (link state, disable NIC, checksum settings etc)
                The v5.10 driver does not have this issue (5.11 was the last officially released driver for this chipset ironically enough!)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9088
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yeah I did downgrade from 5.11 to 5.10. Not sure of when I upgraded the drivers but the problem started to appear after I tried to change to Windows 7 on another partition. During my debugging with windows 7 I could not get the Marvell LAN to work. When I went back to Windows XP then the ethernet port would stop working after it would come out of standby, then stopped working altogether. I was playing with drivers at the time and may be caused some corruption? In any case, after I recently uninstalled both the LAN drivers (Nvidia + Marvell) and re-installed the "officially" supported ones from Gigabyte, everything works fine now. I'll monitor it and see if the problem reappears. Funny thing is I had trouble getting the system into standby, it would intermittently hang when going to standby. Now it works fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X