Are these caps bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these caps bad?

I am hoping someone can tell me whether or not I should have these caps replaced, I have been having random shutdown issues on my pc and after alot of tests I have kind of narrowed it down. These caps were the only ones that looked like they might be going bad, but keep in mind they look worse in the pic here. But for a cap to be good does it need to be completely flat on top or overtime do they always swell a bit? Also Im not sure the brand, I can see TK on the sides of some or ATWY not sure if that helps.
    Attached Files

Re: Are these caps bad?

Originally posted by Mnight
    But for a cap to be good does it need to be completely flat on top or overtime do they always swell a bit?
    Caps do not have to swell or be bloated in order to be bad.

A 1000uF cap can measure 500uF and that is bad because it is out of tolerance. A multimeter with a capacitance test can measure capacitance.

An cap can have high ESR (ohm) and that can also be bad for a motherboard application. An ESR tester is required to measure ESR.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Are these caps bad?

TK are a bad brand. I recently replaced a few on an ECS/Compaq motherboard. If you are going to re-cap it, replace those solid polymer caps too. Those look like "elite" brand. Sometimes when they fail, they can explode and the can flies off.
      Last edited by c_hegge; 07-25-2010, 10:53 PM.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
      X