Orinoco Wireless utility issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orinoco Wireless utility issue

I got Windows 95 OSR2 installed and running happily on my IBM PC110 (this thing MUST be the smallest laptop ever built) and now I want to top off the functionality by adding wireless to it.
    I have an Orinoco silver card which has been reflashed to gold using modified firmware and now I'm installing the driver/software/utility.
    Now the installer for all of the above is stored in a zip file and for reasons inknown, to get it to properly install you need to use the "check out" option in WinZip.
    As I reached the end of the installation I'm told...
    Code:
    $HOME$ requires the correct version of comctl32.dll.
    Run the file w95ws2.exe from the folder \xtras\windows on the CD-ROM
    Alternatiively, consult to the Microsoft website for the correct update.
    ...which essentially means that I need winsock2 to be installed so I download it and install it and then proceed to configure the card to connect to my router and it seems no matter what button I click in the utility, the result is always the same:
    Code:
    An error has occured while Windows was working with the Control Panel
    file C:\windows\system\WNLUC41.CPL
    ...or in semi-rare cases...
    Code:
    ILLEGAL OPERATION
    CMLUC caused an invalid page fault in module COMCTL32.DLL at blah blah blah
    I thought it meant the install botched but I uninstalled and reinstalled and got the same error.
    I then also tried installing a different version of the utility but it still crashes with the same error.
    The readme says this is for 95 and not 98 (where I have never had problems with the utility) but why would it be doing this?
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Orinoco Wireless utility issue

welcome to the wonderfull world of microsoft!
    i went through all that crap for years before switching to Linux.
    (no way was i going to use XP after tolerating 3.11, 95, 98 etc.)

i think your gonna have a hard time - most drivers & stuff are 98se only now.

Comment

XP is actually the good one. Server 2003 is the best os they made. I would really skip 9x on this laptop though. Linux is modern and fast enough to get stuff done. 95 is going to be a headache. You're going to have to track down sooooo many old versions.

And this is a 486 33... As small as it is the usability at this point is nil.

Comment

Try installing 50comupd.exe. You can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

I would suggest starting over and installing all the Winsock and comctl updates before your attempt the wireless drivers.

There is a chance the drivers a compiled for a Pentium and will always fail on a 486.

As to Linux, what distro with a GUI is going to run "well" on a 486SX33? You would have to run DSL or some other really stripped down version. That's not going to have a GUI even comparable to Win95. Anything with a decent GUI would be deathly slow, if it ran at all.

Second, how well would kernel 1.2 support wireless without rewriting major parts of it? That's what you would get with a distro from 1995. Dis MS all you want but having easily installed hardware drivers is a big plus.

Comment

use the latest kernel with a light gui - obviously not kde4!

the biggest challenge will actually be the ram i think.

Comment

What the hell is wrong with people these days?
              Yes, I'm fully aware you can run Linux on this thing but....
              I'M NOT GOING TO
              Jesus christ, so far everyione I have talked to have said the exact god damn same thing but they forget to remember that this isn't an EEE, this is a 15 year old computer wither VERY limited specs. The majority of all linux software that actually serves a use that I can relate to is either too much for the overclocked 40mhz processor and 8mb ram or just too much for the unaccelerated Chips and Tech video chip with 512kb of VRAM.
              Mention that OS in this thread again and the shooting begins. :ranbo:

Moving on...
              I would suggest starting over and installing all the Winsock and comctl updates before your attempt the wireless drivers.
              As in reinstall windows or the driver/utility? I can cleanly remove the latter but reinstalling the OS and then tweaking everything back to where it is now will be a pain. Also, I doubt the drivers are having issues for being compiled for the wrong arch and if so, I have a nifty little app that makes the system think a 486 is a pentium until I reboot.
              Try installing 50comupd.exe. You can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en
              Awesome! That indeed fixed the problem. Thanks a bunch.

Now that the problem is solved I can comment on something else...
              And this is a 486 33... As small as it is the usability at this point is nil.
              It was overclocked to a blazing 40mhz and it runs 95 surprisingly well. The upper limit on what I can do on this thing so far is play Myst where the video chip has trouble with the larger resolution QuickTime videos. Netscape 4 and Office 97 also run well on it.
              The bigger bonus is the full Sound Blaster support so this makes for a really portable DOS gaming computer.
              Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by pentium

As in reinstall windows or the driver/utility? I can cleanly remove the latter but reinstalling the OS and then tweaking everything back to where it is now will be a pain.
                I meant reinstall windows as I would have made the same suggestion Eagle2a gave as a first try.

Glad you got it working.

Also, I doubt the drivers are having issues for being compiled for the wrong arch and if so, I have a nifty little app that makes the system think a 486 is a pentium until I reboot.
                Unless it's a full blown emulator that's impossible. Sure a simple program might fool a few dumb apps in to thinking the CPU is a Pentium, but nothing but real emulation is going to replace missing instructions.

Comment

btw, is the orinoco a pcmcia card?

Comment

Yes, this is a Slver Orinoco card whose firmware has been reflashed to gold firmware.
                    Find Nedry!

Comment

You were able to find a pc110? I was jealous about all the awesome SGI's and stuff and other old computers stuff but that little palmtop is just awesome.

Comment

dang, wtf is your problem with linux? do you actually like the taste of fail? do you like having an os so slow on that hardware that it feels like your balls are being ripped into your mouth?

dang... try dsl, i dare you.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
                          Awesome! That indeed fixed the problem. Thanks a bunch.
                          Glad to hear it, and you're welcome.

I had a feeling that would probably solve your problem. Haha Linux.. I've been contemplating FINALLY installing it and starting to learn it.

Comment

With 8mb of ram.... my oh my.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                              dang, wtf is your problem with linux? do you actually like the taste of fail? do you like having an os so slow on that hardware that it feels like your balls are being ripped into your mouth?

dang... try dsl, i dare you.
                              You really have no clue due you? Do you really think DSL or ANY variant of Linux with a GUI would run as well as Win95 on such a machine? It has 8 MB of RAM! DSL won't even run in GUI mode with that little and it's using an old kernel.

Windows95 has large parts running in 16 bit for low memory usage and speed. It has no security at all. It has tonnes of missing features of a "full" OS like Linux but those missing features help in this situation.

It is because Win95 is so crappy and stripped down that makes it a better and faster choice on such a limited machine.

It's like saying Linux would run faster than DOS on such a machine. Of course that's absurd, but no one is saying DOS is a better OS than Linux.

Comment

oh, i thought he had more ram than that.
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                  oh, i thought he had more ram than that.
                                  Actually I did mention it but I'll let that pass.

I found the PC110 by luck. Cost me $150 too.
                                  It's essentially a boxed system with the exception it is missing the dock and the floppy drive which made installing a real pain until I got a usable system up, at which I caould start moving stuff over flash disks and my PCMCIA cd drive.
                                  Find Nedry!

Comment

Play with it and hustle it off on ebay. Get an X21. They are only $80-100 and a lot more usable.

Comment

So many don't seem to understand people like me and pentium. Sure he could sell it on ebay and get something more useful, but they aren't as cool.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                        So many don't seem to understand people like me and pentium. Sure he could sell it on ebay and get something more useful, but they aren't as cool.
                                        Exactly!
                                        I know I could of used Microsoft Word (or Open Office) to make my resume but because I could, I did it on an IBM Selectric typewriter.
                                        Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                                        X